Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

"For dust you are and to dust you will return."
Today marks the beginning of Lent. As mentioned in a previous post, the Roman Catholic tradition is to give up something that you like. This is to be done until Easter.

I sort of have a different take on things and it's based upon some discussions during a religion class when I was in high school.

If I were to give up Grande Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Lattes, I am depriving myself of something that I like. I'm also saving money so shouldn't I give that money to a charity? I'm just asking...

A person could give up being a big gossip. The benefit would be that the person stops talking about people and could enhance their reputation by not being considered a gossip monger.

How about being nice to a co-worker that you can't tolerate? Do you thrive on being mean to that person? It might really be a stretch to be nice to that person and while they might not reciprocate at least you attempted to make a change.

Haven't been going to the gym, or working out or running? Give up some of your time in front of the television and go workout? The benefit would be that you will become healthier, probably extend your life and have that extra time to spend with your loved ones, make a difference in the world, etc.

How about giving up some of your free time to reconnect with family members or friends? For some people this could be a real sacrifice.

So you see, it's not just about giving up chocolate, donuts, adult beverages, etc.

Speaking of adult beverages...

Back in the late '90s for two Lents in a row I gave up alcohol. I lost weight. I had great looking skin. I was sleeping well. I was a b!tch. LOL

Someone walked up to me one night at JRs and said, "I thought when you said those mean-funny things to me it was because you were drinking. Now that I know you're not drinking I realize that you really mean them." LOL

So how did I spend Ash Wednesday Eve aka Mardi Gras Night? Some friends had a King Cake Party. It was a nice crowd and a fun evening. There were two King Cakes which meant you had two opportunities to find the baby. The two guests who found the babies received crowns, a scepter and a chalice.

I think I wore the most controversial piece of attire ever in my life. You see...

The Mardi Gras after Katrina, I purchased a cute (in my opinion it is cute) jester hat. I stood out in the crowd and received all kinds of beads and a Zulu coconut! People were coming up to me asking me where I bought my hat. I was quite popular.
AttyHou gets in The Cal Mobile and gives me a look. Several people at the party gave me a look. AttyHou even asked, "Did you look in the mirror?" How rude! LOL I will say that I was the ONLY person at the party with a hat...so there! Here are some photos from last night...and one of The Calvinator in the Mardi Gras spirit.

4 comments:

J Duarte said...

What are you giving up this year? :)

Margo said...

Hmmm. I haven't given up anything for Lent in a long time. I just may do it this year, but I have to decide fast (!) what I'm going to give up! Are you going to post what you're giving up?

Viv said...

I am with Margo, I to decide too. I still don't know what. One year I gave up carbs, I lost 40 pounds. Than after Easter I blew back up. I always feel guilty if I do not give anything up, so Catholic.
I love the Calvinator a la Mardi Gras,Super CUTE!

Timmy said...

Things I SHOULD give up:
1. stalking people
2. watching multiple repeats of Project Runway; Make Me A Super Model; Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency; & The Gauntlet.
3. letting things pile up
4. making Calvin pose for pictures in garb he doesn't appreciate