Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hillary Clinton Rally (part 2...Bill arrives)

I swear. Bill Clinton must have some Mexican genes. I know that he is always late but geez he was late today. And I'm sure the rest of the schedule for the day was messed up.

So just as Annise and Sylvia are about to sing and dance for us (and maybe even ask me to get up and help them out) we see the motorcade arrive and the crowd goes wild. Hillary signs everywhere and people are clapping and cheering. And just like that, the SUV that Bill is riding in is right there almost in front of me. And Secret Service agents descend upon us like flies on poop.

Sylvia and Annise are behind the flag exchanging pleasantries with Bill and next thing you know he is on stage.


Bill gave a great speech. It wasn't all about Bill...although he did defend himself at one point when he made reference to things that have been said about the '90s. The three things he talked about: healthcare; the war in Iraq; education. He got me excited and energized.

I know that most of the people there probably were already Hillary supporters. I will say that it was good for me to have someone reiterate her position on these topics.

Bill kept looking in my direction. And no I wasn't wearing a Lewinsky beret. I was wearing some cool sunglasses that always receive positive comments. And I was wearing a baseball cap that had a variation of the U.S. flag.

And I would shake my head in agreement when he was talking. He was preaching to the choir sistah!

He is quite the orator. He hasn't lost his touch. And he still doesn't know when to stop talking. LOL

So he finally finishes and it's time to work the crowd. And then I feel a surge of people coming up from behind me pushing me even closer to the man and now a lady in front of me. OK...so in 9 months, two birth announcements.
As Bill is getting closer, I feel like I'm going to fall over because someone is pushing. I'm trying to hang on to my sign AND take pictures but I'm afraid of falling and taking people down with me.
So I decide I'm not going to shake his hand because I'm actually beginning to panic. There are people pushing their way through to the front...and then I figure out what is part of the situation. There are SS agents moving through the crowd while Bill is in front of us. Well there's no getting out of this crowd.
Here is Bill just as he is getting up to me. I'm still not trying to shake his hand...I'm trying to stay upright and take pics.
So then he comes right over to me and tries to grab my hand (which is not extended) and so in a split second I put down the camera and shake his hand...sort of...it was an awkward handshake.
He went on his way...

And I went and got my free breakfast taco.
I got back to NoRO and put Hillary's sign in a front window.
Hillary is going to be in H-town on Thursday night. I've already made other plans and by the time I get to the venue I'm sure I would end up in the peanut gallery.

4 comments:

Viv said...

The pic of his hand is classic! I loved it!!

OK Timmy I almost fell outta my seat with the, you were not wearing a Monica Barret(sp?)

It looked like a supah exciting morning :-)

Margo said...

FANTASTIC pic!! How fun. I definitely would have gotten a breakfast taco too. I miss the van that used to be in front of the old courthouse downtown - great food! I never worry about how hygenic the food is because it never killed me eating the food from the carts outside the bars in Juarez. ;>)

J Duarte said...

Great shoots Tim! Wish I could of been there. :-)

I just saw you are also doing the Aids walk, Kudos! Im doing it to!

nickabouttown said...

That's awesome! I had the chance to meet Bill, Hill, Al, and Tipper a few times when I was in DC for a semester 300 years ago in 1996.

God...that was so long ago.

I need to go drink coffee and rock myself into a fetal position...

Anyway...Go Hill! :)