Thursday, February 7, 2008

Was it really Super Tuesday? Texans, get ready

While many of us were participating in Mardi Gras festivities and debauchery, 22 States and American Samoa were having primaries and caucuses. I guess when Super Tuesday was conceived, nobody checked the calendar. WHY would you do Super Tuesday on Mardi Gras?

Well, the folks in Louisiana and Texas had enough sense not join Super Tuesday. We had Mardi Gras to deal with dammit!

When the Texas decision was made there was much discussion about how OUR votes wouldn't matter because everything would be decided by February 6, 2008. Au contraire mon amie!

As it has played out, there are two BIG States up for grabs on March 4, 2008. They are Ohio AND Texas.

I'm warning my fellow Texans. Get ready for an onslaught of ads and mailers. Plans are being made for a debate on February 28 here in Houston. Hillary is confirmed. Tim Russert is confirmed. I hope he combs his hair. He was looking a bit ragged this morning. I think Bryan Williams will also be here.


Hmmm...didn't I hear Obama say that he needs to do a better job of reaching out to Latinos? Mr. Obama you'd better book yourself a ticket and get your ass to Houston well before the 28th and uh, don't leave Hillary standing on the stage by herself. I'm a Hillary supporter but I'm just saying...

And speaking of Latinos, when did my people become Latino? Wait. When did we become Hispanic? When I was growing up we were either Mexicans, Mexican-Americans or Chicanos. Where in the timeline of the history of the world did we become Hispanics and Latinos? Maybe the name depends on your level of education? You know...if you graduate from college you're no longer a Mexican you become Hispanic? And if you get a Ph.D. you go from being Hispanic to Latino?


Back to the topic at hand...

So Oprah, Caroline Kennedy and Maria Shriver couldn't deliver the female vote in California for Obama. Caroline Kennedy and her uncle Ted "Chappaquiddick" Kennedy couldn't deliver Massachusetts for Obama.

It appears that my people (Mexicans, Mexican-Americans, Chicanos, Latinos, Bill or Billy or Mack or Buddy...remember that line from that song?) could be the deciding factor. Hillary has a good relationship with my people. That's going to be a tough nut to break. I'm thinking the Texas primary is going to be a good indicator of who has the better relationships and can get the votes. Stay tuned.

It was reported last night that Hillary had to lend her campaign $5,000,000. Her big donors have maxed out their contributions. So if you want to raise some Hill, contribute to her campaign.
EDIT: As of around 1015A CST, Hillary received $4,000,000 in contributions in less than 24 hours.

I think the funniest thing that Hillary and I have heard is that if McCain is the Republican nominee, Ann Coulter has said that she will campaign for Hillary.

BTW...McCain, Romney and Huckabee will be traversing the State trying to get some Republican delegates.
EDIT: As of about 1115A CST, Romney is suspending his campaign.



2nd BTW...I wonder how many phone calls and mailers I will get that will be in Spanish? My last name would imply that I am fluent in the native language of my people.

6 comments:

J Duarte said...

Si senor, I can speak Spanish but I can't write it.

Timmy said...

If someone is speaking Spanish at a fast clip, I can't keep up with them. If they give me a minute to digest what they said, I can respond in broken Spanish.

Anonymous said...

I really really really really dislike Ann Coulter!

Could she please not speak? At least she got rid of the damn black dress!

oh yeah, did i say that i don't like Ann Coulter?

Margo said...

LMAO!! Growing up on the east side in El Paso, we were all Mexican. The people living on the west side called themselves Hispanic. I still refer to myself as a Mexican and have been known to yell out "Viva La Raza"! Never thought about the "Latino" thing until you brought that up. I think I started hearing that in college.

Timmy said...

I guess a Mexican with a law degree might be called: uber-Latino/a. :-)

Ann Coulter was on the Today Show this morning. She was wearing a light blue blouse, black mini-skirt and black boots. I'm sure those boots aroused Dick Cheney.

Viv said...

All I wanna do is have some fun, till the sun comes up on the Santa Monica Blvd. Sorry u had me singing it so I had to finish it.

Yea, they better get their latino speeches ready. I am really torn. There is a wide range on lationos in Texas, so they will have to do their research. I would love to see a debate go down here. Obama step up buddy. I need to hear what you have to say.