Sunday, August 17, 2008

50 Is The New 30 (part II)


Birthday greetings go out to Belinda Carlisle who turns 50 today! Belinda was a part of The Go-Go's which was one of the most fun all girl bands ever.

I remember driving in a car with some college buddies from Ft. Worth to Indy during the summer of '82 and listening for hours on end to Beauty & The Beat. To this day whenever I hear a song from Beauty & The Beat I think of my college days.

I saw The Go-Go's perform live on a couple of occasions. The most unusual venue was Billy Bob's Texas in Ft. Worth. You see...

In 1983, David Bowie was on his Serious Moonlight Tour. So in response to that, The Go-Go's did their Serious Barbecue Tour and only played cities in the southern United States.

That night at Billy Bob's was priceless. It was a mix of those of us who were there to see The Go-Go's and the regulars who were there to ride bulls and do some two-step dancin'. I'm not sure about the cowboys & cowgirls but I can tell you that my group of friends had a blast!

So while I'm stumbling down memory lane and trying not to spill the ice out of my cocktail glass, why don't you enjoy this Go-Go's video.


4 comments:

Viv said...

We got the beat! Have you ever seen a True Hollywood Story on them. They like to party!

Anonymous said...

Here goes Ginger with her cross-breeding again:
In this photo Belinda looks like a cross between Vanessa Williams and Ms. Julie Newmar!

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday Belinda. My Go Go memories include each month getting a new cassette at The Gap (I worked there for a number of years:) and knowing that the Go Go's and Bananarama were going to represent. thank you for the video. now where did I put my folding board?

Timmy said...

missgingergrant: add to that a touch of Marcia Cross