Sunday, August 10, 2008

Isaac Hayes dies

On Thursday evening, I heard a remix of Isaac Hayes's Theme from Shaft and I thought, "I need to see if that is available on iTunes.

Click 2 Houston: Your Education Station is reporting that Isaac Hayes has died.



I always like Theme from Shaft because of the orchestration. This was LONG before synthesizers were common place. I was in high school and we would play this song at some of the football games.

From the story about his death:
In the early 1970s, Hayes laid the groundwork for disco, for what became known as urban-contemporary music and for romantic crooners like Barry White. And he was rapping before there was rap.

To this day, my favorite line from Theme from Shaft is:
"They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother... Shut yo mouth! But I'm talking about Shaft."

Rest in peace Isaac and thank you for your influence on music.

No comments: