Sunday, August 3, 2008

Ramblings Of A Caffeinated Mind 15.0

My mind is swirling in many different directions today. Sorta like a frozen Margarita Sangria Swirl from Cyclone Anayas. Where to begin?

Look Ma! No Nosebleed!
To my friends who live outside of I-610 (known as The Loop to us Houstonians) you know I love you so please don't be offended by these next comments.

Yesterday I was invited to Friend Floyd & Friend Mike's house. I had only been there one time and it was after I landed at IAH and had to drop off some stuff for a Krewe garage sale. It was at night and I remember it being a ways out but I really didn't remember where they live.

So a couple of weeks ago I received an evite to a pool party at their house and I accepted. So I Googled where they live and was a bit surprised to see that it is about 30+ miles from NoRO. OY!

Before I left NoRO, I made preparations from my trip. Calvin had been walked, fed and had plenty of water. I had bread crumbs to leave a trail in case I couldn't find my way home. I packed a snack for the journey. I packed cotton balls. You see...

For those of us that live ITL (Inside The Loop), legend has it that if you go too far out you will get a nosebleed. Not only did I travel OTL (Outside The Loop), I traveled outside Beltway 8 AND FM 1960! Unheard of I tell ya!

I'm glad I made the trek. It was a good group of people and it was nice to be able to sit and talk and not have to scream over loud noise and music at a bar to carry on a conversation. Too many friends to list who were there.

And the food! Let's just say that after two trips to the trough there was no way I was taking my shirt off and showing my stuffed stomach pooching out over my swimsuit. It would have looked like a double stuffin' muffin top...and not pretty.

Friend Mike is a good cook and had all kinds of food. Tamales, grilled chicken, steak bites, grilled sausage, fruits, vegetables, potato salad, macaroni salad, desserts, poppers (not the kind you snort, the kind you eat) and best of all was this other grilled chicken that was stuffed with cream cheese, jalapenos, assorted bell peppers and wrapped in bacon.

It was open bar with a nice lady who was bartending. However, considering that I had a drive back down I-45 I knew better than to partake of too many adult beverages. I can be responsible you know.

Kaye Sedilla/Sopa Pilla was the topic of discussion several times during the party. Many people were asking how she is doing in rehab at The Betty Ford Center. I have many messages of hope to give her. Kaye Sedilla/Sopa Pilla...if you're reading this, everybody is pulling for you dahling!

Spending time at Friend Floyd & Friend Mike's was well worth the journey. And I did not get a nosebleed and didn't have to get into my snack pack.

Cat Fight
The other night I had dinner with some friends at their house. While we were eating they mentioned that their cat had been missing for 4 days. Toward the end of the evening the cat returned (it was actually sitting on The Cal Mobile). It looked like it had been in a fight. This made me think of my favorite cat fight from a movie.

(This clip is kind of long but the best part is from the beginning to 3:33).


Valley of the Dolls was released in 1967. My mother and our neighbor so wanted to see the movie but they couldn't find a babysitter. So they took us kids with them to the drive-in. I really didn't pay too much attention to the movie. It wasn't until MANY years later that I watched it again and realized how campy it is. It has become one of my favorite movies.

Then, in 1995 Unzipped, the frockumentary, was released. At one point in the movie Isaac Mizrahi quotes a line from Valley of the Dolls:
"There's only one star in a Helen Lawson show, and that's ME baby! Remember?" Classic line!

And in the sense of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, Sandra Bernhard was in Unzipped and she was on Project Runway the other night. So you see, it all gets back to Valley of the Dolls...or in my twisted mind many things I like all related to Valley of the Dolls. And just to prove this point, someone has done a Valley of the Dolls video set to Amy Winehouse's Rehab.



Some great lines from Valley of the Dolls:
Helen Lawson: They drummed you out of Hollywood, so you come crawling back to Broadway. But Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope. Now get out of my way, I've got a man waiting for me.

Jennifer North: I wouldn't pay any attention to that. You know how bitchy fags can be!

Neely O'Hara: Boobies, boobies, boobies. Nothin' but boobies. Who needs em?

Neely O'Hara: "I have to get up at five o'clock in the morning and SPARKLE, Neely, SPARKLE!"

Neely O'Hara: I want a doll! I want a doll!

Neely O'Hara: [drunk in a bar] Who's stoned? I am merely traveling incognito.

Neely O'Hara: Mel? God? Neely?... NEEEEEEELYYY O'HARAAAAAAAA!

(Stage manager): Neely? Neely open the door, you're on. Neely!
Neely O'Hara: Hi!
(Stage manager): My God. You've got on your costume for the second act.
Neely O'Hara: So? I'll do the second act first!

4 comments:

Viv said...

Yummy you had me at Margarita/Sangria!! Really Bltwy 8 & 1960 you just need to go a lil further norht to see your chica Viv!

"Tommy" said...

OY !!!!

Rick said...

Oh come on Timmy. You've got to get out more.lol

Anonymous said...

hello there and thank yyou for your information – I've certainly
pickdd uup something nnew from righht here. I did however
expertise a few technical points using this web site, since I experienced too reload
the website a lot of times previous to I could get it to loadd properly.
I had beenn wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but slugvgish loading instancces times wilpl very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your
high-quality score if ads and marketing wijth Adwords.
Well I am adding this RSS to my email and could look
out for a lot more oof your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this ahain very soon.