Friday, August 29, 2008

New Orleans

There have been two catastrophic events in my lifetime that have definitely made an impact on me. It's almost as if there are two bookmarks within a matter of years.

The first is September 11, 2001. I had been in New York City celebrating my 40th birthday and left on the evening of September 10 to return to Houston. I remember waking up on the morning of September 11 and watching the Today Show only to have it interrupted with live coverage of what was happening. Not only was I stunned because I had just been there but also because two of my friends were still there and were due to return that evening. They were safe and eventually made it back to Houston.

The second event is Hurricane Katrina in 2005. On the 2nd Anniversary, I put down some thoughts. I have always felt like New Orleans was a place I could call home. It isn't all about the French Quarter and the debauchery of Mardi Gras. It's about the history, the people, the food and the unique charm of the city.

Right now residents along the Gulf Coast are keeping an eye on Hurricane Gustav. It is too early to tell what it will do but it is a bit odd that a watch is being held on the 3rd Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

Rather than dwell on this yesterday I picked up the phone and called a long time friend of mine who I had not spoken to in many, many months. She and her family are natives of New Orleans and returned to rebuild their lives.

I spent an hour on the phone with her taking a few trips down memory lane, sharing many laughs, and sharing a few hurricane preparedness tips. I actually offered one to her that she had not even thought of! Pretty good for a guy who has only lived on the Gulf Coast for 16 years, eh?

I also got in contact with some former clients of mine who also returned to New Orleans to rebuild their lives. They're in a watch mode and still a bit numb from what happened three years ago.

The tenacity, resilience, Southern charm and love of life is what all of these people have in common. I'm glad that I took the time to get in contact with them because they reminded me of what makes New Orleans so special: the people.

2 comments:

Viv said...

Great post Timmy....
We shall see what happens with Gustav.

A Girl From Texas said...

Timmy that's a really sweet post. Long live New Orleans.