Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ramblings Of A Caffeinated Mind 3.7

"Lassie! Run and get help. Timmy has fallen into a well!"

So this morning I was out with The Calvinator on our morning stroll. With the exception of the running shoes, I was in my running attire 'cause I was going to head over to the park for a 4 mile run. I did 3 yesterday morning so I thought I'd add a mile. As you may recall, I was "de-wimped" on Monday so I was ready for 4. Plus I've been reading NoFo's blog and his group did 23 miles the other day so I'm really feeling like a slacker. Others who are making me feel like a slacker are Will Run For Martinis and Running For Gold. I JUST can't get motivated to do a marathon.

So it's a bit before 600A and 007/NoRO is very quiet. There was some fog this morning. The ground was wet. I could hear the train off in the distance.

I was wearing my soccer sandals and for some stupid reason I starting singing to myself, "People say she's crazy she's got diamonds on the soles of her shoes..."

So we get to Reinerman and Feagan and we're heading toward the Doris Miller Library Center. OK...I don't have my glasses on but off in the distance I see somebody walking toward us with a dog and I'm trying to figure out if it is a big dog or a little dog 'cause if it's a big dog The Calvinator will want to rumble.

All of this is happening in a few seconds and next thing I know I lose my footing, twist my right ankle and almost fall into the drainage ditch/gully. It looks like I'm going to go face first into the muddy, wet grass and now Calvin is startled and he is trying to get away from me.

In the effort to correct my footing, I twist it again and start to fall toward the sidewalk (face first) but I grab the chain link fence and I never fall but boy does my ankle hurt!

There were several things I thought of: 1) "Calvin, run and get help! Timmy has fallen into the gutter." To which he would reply, "You must feel right at home."; 2) There's no way I'll be able to run today, tomorrow or maybe EVER again; 3) I've shattered my ankle on the leg that I had a stress fracture and my hopes of ever getting a gold medal in the Senior Olympics have also been shattered.



So as I'm trying to recompose myself and figure out the damage here comes the lady with the dog and sure enough a rumble starts.

As all good runners do, I tried to shake it off and determined that I could walk back to the house. I went on to the park and stood there for about 15 minutes trying to decide what to do. If I could make it to the 1/2 mile marker I might be able to do 3 miles...and I did.

I really need to start carrying my cell phone with me but when I'm in running shorts, there's no place to put it and as it is I have Calvin on the leash in one hand, a poop bag and the keys. I'll figure out a solution.

SIDEBAR: I went back and took some pics in the daylight. It's difficult to tell the actual grade of the incline but trust me, it wouldn't have been fun landing in the gutter. And yes, I've been in the gutter many a time!


"Don't stomp your little last season Prada shoes at me, honey."
-Enrique Salvatore to Elle in Legally Blonde




I wasn't going to post anything about about Senator Larry Craig but I can't resist. This whole thing about tapping the foot under the stall door at MSP reminded me of the scene from Legally Blonde when Elle was waiting to use the water fountain and the pool boy was taking his time. Now I don't know if Sen. Craig was wearing Prada shoes but it would have been funny if he had been.



And one more thing about it...at 1159A CDT today my cell phone rings. This is how the conversation goes:

Str8UpWithATwist (SUWAT): Hey.

AttyHou: Hey boi. What are you doing?

SUWAT: On my way to Best Buy to buy my brother-in-law a birthday present. How are you?

AttyHou: Stuffy.

SUWAT: You sound stuffy. Physical stuffy that is. Not in a conservative, Republican, I'm gonna tap my foot under the bathroom door and have sex with you stuffy kinda way.

AttyHou: Hypocritical stuffy.

SUWAT: (LOL) Yea.


¡Feliz CumpleaƱos!

Birthday greetings go out to Daniel who is an avid reader of Str8UpWithATwist. Daniel joins a fine group of us who are in our 40's. Welcome aboard Daniel!


Daniel and Sugar Land Stuart waiting for Kaye Sedilla.





OK bois and gurrls...I haven't done weights since Sunday and I need to get my fat arse to the gym today. It's gonna hurt.



Mina Lee Studio Art

No comments: