Friday, August 10, 2007

Don't Let Your Guard Down

from Houston Chronicle:

While still predicting a busy 2007 hurricane season, government forecasters on Thursday slightly brightened their outlook, calling for 13 to 16 named storms, including seven to nine hurricanes, with three to five of those intense.

For those of us living on the Gulf Coast or even on the Atlantic coast, this could sound like good news. This has been a quiet season (knocking on wood) but please remember something...

Sept. 10th (my birthday (hint hint) is the peak of hurricane season. As a reminder, here are some storms that have hit in August and in September: Hurricane Katrinia and Rita in 2005; Hurricane Andrew in 1992; Hurricane Alicia in 1983; Hurricane Camille in 1969; Hurricane Betsy in 1965; and Hurricane Carla in 1961. I'm just saying...

OK. This combined with all the talk this week about jambalaya with Everyday Italian is making me think I may need a Hurricane this weekend. Maybe if I drink 1 (or 2) it will keep the evil spirits away.
In other news...
I took The Calvinator to Memorial Park early this morning. We had a long 35 minute walk and he was quite happy. Not as many people are there on Friday's 'cause they're all going to be out there tomorrow doing long runs. However, Yoga Boi was there doing yoga and then running later.

I don't like to take The Calvinator there in the mornings 'cause his paws get wet from the dew and then the dirt turns into mud on his paws. However, it is going to be a scorcher here in the Bayou City and I know how much he loves the park so off we went. He was FILTHY but content.

We then hung out at the office. We were by the front door and he was the official greeter. He has a tendency to put a smile on faces.

The downside to all of this activity: he got a bath when we got home. However, I made sure that he got several of his favorite treats while he was getting bathed. You know, sorta like being at a spa.
Speaking of bathing...I need to hop in the shower. Even though we walked, it was 79 degrees with high humidity and I worked up a sweat.

Have a good weekend everybody!

No comments: