Monday, August 27, 2007

I'm In A Mood

It must be that time of the month or the year or something. I'm in an odd mood.

Maybe it is the upcoming lunar eclipse? Maybe it the upcoming anniversary of the death of Princess Diana? Or maybe I'm rethinking everything that happened two years ago later this week in New Orleans?
Not really sure.

OK. Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts.

I went on a bit of an excursion this afternoon. I went to the main post office downtown (just for kicks...not really) and then drove around a part of downtown that I'm sorta but not sorta familiar with.

I had seen a building off in the distance one day and wondered, "What is that?" So today I found the building. It is the new Business Building for Univ. of Houston-Downtown. Looks like they're still trying to finish up some exterior work but it is a nice looking building.


Then I wondered if I could find Irma's. I knew it was somewhere on N. Chenevert but it had been eons since I've eaten their. It took a couple of wrong turns but I found it.

So then I thought, can you find The Last Concert Cafe? This one is a bit more tricky if it has been eons since you've been there and after dredging through the bowels of the I-10 overpass, I found it.

I was going to head over to Ninfa's on Navigation because I heard they have recently done some work on the place. I figured I'll save that for another day...maybe when I stop in for a bite at Yolanda Black Navarro's Villa Arcos Restaurant.

Irma's, The Last Concert Cafe and Ninfa's on Navigation are three unique Mexican restaurants here in The Bayou City. I think I'm most intrigued with Last Concert.

If I remember the story correctly, the lady who opened the restaurant in 1949 said this was going to be her last venture. So you see how she came up with the name? She has since passed away but the restaurant is still open.

A couple of former clients introduced me to the restaurant. It is a bit difficult to find because there isn't a big sign. In fact, I was surprised today when I saw a small sign because in the past they didn't have one. The "red door" is kept locked and you have to knock to gain admittance. You have to look for the building with the red door.

I was "told" that the building was previously a brothel and I sorta believe it because one time that I ate there we were sitting in what could have been an itty-bitty bedroom. I was given two explanations about the locked door: 1) It pays tribute to the days of it being a brothel and the "clients" had to knock to gain admittance; or 2) It used to be a rough neighborhood and this kept out the riff-raff.

One of the ladies who introduced me to the restaurant said that if I came back that weekend I could find her on the stage playing the tambourine. You see, in addition to being a restaurant it is also a venue for musicians. It really is something different.

So if you're ever in Houston and you're looking for something that is VERY unique, check out The Last Concert Cafe.

In Other News:
Birthday greetings go out to Realtor Ben! I ran into Ben yesterday and I couldn't remember the exact date of his birthday. I said, "I know it is in the late 20's." He said, "It's been years since I have seen the late 20's." And then we both laughed hard. :-)

I understand that Calvin gotta hold of my computer last night and did a posting. I don't know how he can type with those paws of his? And yes, he is correct, I did go to a fundraiser for Jane Weiner's Hope Stone.

Jane has a ton of energy stored in that petite body of hers! And watch out. If you drink her Kool-Aid, you can't run from her enthusiasm. I met Dancer Jane through Realtor Alan. At some point in the future I'll do a posting about an upcoming event that a group of us is working on. The timing of me drinking the Kool-Aid was a bit odd...everything happens for a reason.

I'm running with RunnerOne this afternoon/evening. It is going to be hot. I'm a morning-humidity runner as opposed to an evening/afternoon-heat runner. (Sorta like, "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" kinda thing. Seems like you're one or the other but not both.) :-) Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Brechi said...

Hope you are ou tof your odd mood by now.

Timmy said...

Actually the run helped me to get outta my mood. I'm now verging on being restless with stuff to do but don't want to do chores...just wanna have some fun.