Saturday, August 11, 2007

This is a long one...

OK. So I got up this morning (early) 'cause my tummy was feeling a bit odd. Here it is 420A and I'm awake. The Calvinator finally awakened around 500A so we went for a walk. I got to Memorial Park a bit after 600A.

You can tell it is Summer in Houston 'cause there are gangs...uh, I mean packs of people running in the dark before the sun comes up. You have to weigh your options. Run pre-dawn and deal with the humidity or run post-dawn and deal with the heat.

Kenyan Way, Houston Fit and Team In Training have their trainees out there doing long runs early in the morning. And like a lemming (or is it a loon?), I was there with them.

Last night I had really psyched myself up for a good run this morning. The tummy thing was still with me when I got to the park and I wasn't sure what was going to happen. So, I turned on the iPod and selected Cocktails At Twilight; a playlist of soft dance music.

By the time I finished 4 miles I was beginning to wonder why I was out there. I mentally started beating myself up. I had a good pity party. I finished 4 and debated about doing 2 more. If any of you saw me just standing there for about 10 minutes dripping in sweat with a scowl on my face, I was having an internal debate.

Then I looked around and saw people who are older than me or heavier than me and you know what? They were out there giving it the old college try. So the pity party came to an abrupt end and it was mind over matter in regard to the tummy. And I selected George Michael's Ladies And Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael (For The Feet).

I did two more miles and felt good about myself.

As I was leaving the park, I saw some women running west on the south side of Memorial Drive. My guess is that they are training for their first marathon. Not being mean but I could tell from their physique and stride. And then I noticed they were wearing Team In Training shirts. This brought back some memories that even as I type right now is sorta getting to me.
A few years ago, I raised for money for the Leukemia-Lymphoma Society by running the Houston marathon. In fact, I did it a couple of years in a row. And also, I was featured in the Houston Chronicle, on Channel 13 (ABC affiliate) and on the local Telemundo station.

You see, when I was about 6 years old I had a first cousin named Phillip who was a year younger than me. At the age of 5, he died of Leukemia. Several years later, another cousin was diagnosed with Leukemia. Chanita had several bouts with it during her teenage years. I have a business associate who is my age who was diagnosed with Leukemia when he was in his late 30s. And Audrey was diagnosed in her 60s with a form of Lymphoma.

Audrey passed away in May. One of the best highlights of marathon running was the year that she was on the race course waiting for me. I had put her name on my shirt and we had our picture taken together around mile 16 or so...I wish I knew what I did with that photo. Patty didn't live far from the course and had arranged a gathering of friends...many who had contributed to my fundraising efforts.

As I looked at those women running, I reminded me that those of us who run do it for different reasons. It has to come from within.

So to everyone who was out there this morning trying to get your run in before it reaches 100 degrees today, thank you for the inspiration. I know. I should count myself fortunate that I can get up in the morning, lace up the shoes and go run.

In other news:
There was a man in the stretching area this morning (after my run was finished) that made me smile. He wasn't in the best of shape but he was doing his calisthenics and one of his routines looked like he had an imaginary hula hoop. OK.

So then, I notice him over in the grassy area running and he is doing flips! YES. And he didn't do just one he did many!!! Who knew?

In other news (Part II):
Google has added Houston to its list of cities where you can get a street level view. Not just the satellite view but street level! So I immediately typed in my address and thank goodness my street isn't blue lined. Memorial Drive is and they photographed the part of the street that is at the bottom of my hill. I scanned the entire portion to see if they had me and The Calvinator on one of our walks 'cause if so, I wanted to make sure that we both looked good. :-)

OK bois and gurrls, I'm off to a pool party. Sun. Water. Friends. Music. And adult beverages. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

2 comments:

"Tommy" said...

You got a hill in H Town....so close to sea level.

I would get up on that when the next big wind comes.

As always your blog enlightens me and makes me recall some times of not so long ago.

I bike in the Natl Forest close to here. There is this man, early 80s, that rides behind us. As I venture into middle age (it starts at 50 in La.) I am drawn back to that old man as he huffs and puffs in the woods on his bike.

I hope I am there at his age.

thanks for a great blog.

Anonymous said...

You know, you SHOULD join we Kenyan Way-ers---at least for the Monday and Wednesday hills and speed workouts. I mean, on Wednesday, we're clogging up the Memorial path ANYway, so...