Saturday, December 29, 2007

Another running post

So this morning I had every intention of going to the park for an 11 mile run. However, when I woke up I just didn't have it in me. Louis Armstrong once said, "You can't blow it out if you don't have it in you."

If it hadn't have been for needing to take The Calvinator out for a walk, I'd probably still be in bed. I'm a bit congested, lethargic, have an upset tummy and a bit of a headache. I still have some stuff weighing on my mind and I think that is causing this slump.

So, I'm not going to kick myself about not running. I AM a bit concerned because the 1/2 marathon is in 2 weeks and I REALLY needed today's 11 mile run.

So. For today's post I decided to put together a list of things I have learned about running. I also want to include some more beefcake for inspiration for everyone who is going to start a fitness regimen in the new year.

1. You can't blow it out if you ain't got it in you.

2. Not every run will be your best run. You will have good days and a few bad days.

3. Don't spit into the wind. (And don't pull the mask of that old lone ranger...) And don't spit on the person next to you.

4. Run to the right (ESPECIALLY AT MEMORIAL PARK!).

5. If the path is only wide enough for two people, don't run two abreast. If the path is wide enough for four people, don't run four abreast. Leave enough space for people to pass you or if people are running toward you don't make them fall off of the path because you and your friends are taking up all of the room.

6. Stay well hydrated. If you start drinking water when you get thirsty, it is too late. You know you are well hydrated when your pee is clear.

7. Crap in. Crap out. You need to eat the correct foods to provide the fuel for your body (i.e. carbs). If you eat crap, you're gonna run like crap.

8. Learn how to blow your nose without a tissue and do it while you're running.

9. If you need to pee and you can't find a restroom or portable toilet, make sure that no one (i.e. the cops) sees you do it.

10. If you blew your nose without a tissue and/or if you peed and didn't use a restroom, don't shake hands at the end of the run with your buddy.

11. Stretch at the end of the run.
12. Wear clothing that is made of fabric that will pull the moisture away from your body.
13. If you are going to do a long run, cover your nipples with Band-aids or Nipple Guards. The rubbing of the shirt on your nipples will cause them to bleed. 14. Use Body Glide or Vaseline for you inner-thighs to prevent chafing. It can also be used on your underarms. Vaseline is good for preventing blisters on your feet. 15. Wear identification on yourself in case something happens to you while you're out running. It is also a good idea to let someone know where you will be running (i.e. off the beaten path). 16. If you are running in the dark, wear something that is reflective. Many shoes and running attire have it as part of the design. 17. While it is good to chat while you run, don't chat TOO LOUD! IF I CAN HEAR YOU OVER THE MUSIC IN MY iPod, THEN YOU ARE TALKING TOO LOUD.

18. Do not use a retractable leash if you run with a dog. More than likely you will trip someone with that thing.

19. If you are running a 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, etc. and if you are not a fast runner/elite runner, don't get in front at the start line. You will cause congestion when everyone is trying to pass you. 20. It is good karma to have a beer and a donut at a post-race party, even if it is only 800A.M.

I'm sure I'll think of other running tips for you. This is all I could think of with a headache. And I take no credit for any of these photos. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can talk about the table of elements and as long as you include the beefcake pics...you have my attention!

Hope you feel better:)

Margo said...

Who knew that Matt Lauer looked so good without a shirt?!