Saturday, October 27, 2007

Last Night

You know it was a fun time when you wake up on Saturday morning and you slept all night on the couch in your puffy, pirate shirt!

It was an evening that was filled with a couple of odd coincidences.

Went with TFMJS to a fundraiser for Habitat For Humanity at the home of Lara and John Spalding. The house is on Kirby Drive in RO. With a stop light it took all of 5 minutes to get from NoRO to RO (that's how close I live to old and new Houston money.) Title sponsors for the evening were Veuve Clicquot Champagne and Belvedere Vodka with catering by Tony's. Does it get much better than that!?


Odd coincidence #1:

Met a guy named Dave Daniels. VERY personable and outgoing. Tall with big hair (part of his costume). Something about him was familiar. Couldn't put my finger on it until he took the hair off later in the evening.

TFMJS told me that he is a former actor and he was on Capitol which was a short-lived soap opera. I realized when I got home he was the original Tyler McCandless (sp)! When he was an actor his name was David Mason Daniels. He now works for Habitat For Humanity and really loves his job.

Odd coincidence #2:

Many years a go I read a book by Tom Thompson, Blood and Money. It is a true story about a murder in RO. Dr. John Hill was put on trial for the murder of Joan Robinson Hill. He was never found guilty but ended up getting murdered. His former father-in-law supposedly paid to have John Hill murdered. (O.J. needs to take heed.)

So why am I telling you this? Well, the house we were in last night is the former residence of Dr. John and Joan Robinson Hill!

If you have ever viewed the movie, Murder In Texas, you will recall that Andy Griffith played Ash Robinson, Farah Fawcett play Joan Robinson Hill and Sam Elliott played Dr. John Hill.

Dr. John Hill poisoned Joan Robinson Hill by injecting poisonous bacteria into pastries and fed them to her. So last night there was a guy dressed as a surgeon carrying around a tray of chocolate eclairs with syringes stuck in the pastries.

Tom Thompson leaves some doubt as to whether or not John Hill is dead. You see, he was a plastic surgeon and volunteered his services at a prison (I think). Supposedly he fixed someone's face to look like him and maybe the wrong person was killed because...

Supposedly there was an American doctor living in Mexico who looks/looked like John Hill.

Interesting, isn't it?

BTW...the ballroom in this house had hidden closets. It looked like panels but I saw Mao Tse Tung open up a wall panel and get some wine. I also saw Leopard Lady open up another panel and the control panel for their sound system was in there. I was afraid to lean up against the wall in fear of a dead body falling out!
And in case you haven't figured it out, it was a Halloween party last night. Photos to follow.

3 comments:

mjr1066 said...

If you can remember back to reading Blood and Money, there's a part in the book where the story is written of a man going into Hill's office and after him because he had botched a surgery and left a drill bit lodged in the patient's mouth.--According to the account in the book the patient blew his nose one day and the drill bit 'flew out' thus closing the case. While I wasn't there I'm told that's not quite how the story goes. Any WHY my parent's didn't sue because of it is beyond me....the patient was my father...and to my understanding, Hill had not been cleared to practice in that particular hospital when my father was brought in as the result of an accident. Unfortuntely one of the individuals who could tell this story from a first-hand account passed away four years ago. So, there's MY link to Dr. John Hill!

My

Anonymous said...

I've always been fascinated by the Hill case. I personally think she died from what we now know as toxic shock syndrome.

The hit man that killed Dr. Hill was hired by a notorius madam named Lilla Paulus. At her trial, one of the major witnesses for the prosecution was her own daughter, Mary Jo. I went to high school with Mary Jo and knew her fairly well.

Later in life, I happened to run into a young lady who had dated Joan Hill's son when they were in high school. Small world....

Unknown said...

I just saw David Mason Daniels on an old episode of "Wonder Woman." He was quite the hunk! Just saw a pic of him 40 years later as Dave Daniels with Habitat for Humanity. He has aged well and is quite the silver fox!