Friday, July 20, 2007

You Can't Stop The Beat

Due to our roadtrip this week, The Calvinator's day at doggy daycare was moved to today. This is definitely daddy's day out.

I went to the 1055A showing of Hairspray. I missed opening day of Dreamgirls so there was no way I was going to miss opening day of Hairspray.

The original John Waters Hairspray was released in 1988. I remember renting the VHS and was immediately hooked. Then the Broadway musical Hairspray was created. I saw a touring company show when it came through Houston a few years ago and I was hooked. Now I have seen the movie version of the Broadway musical and I'm hooked. In case you can't follow this...this is movie musical of a Broadway musical of a movie.

Although a bit different from the movie, the Broadway musical stayed true to the story and the movie musical is a bit different from the stage production but still stays true to the story. And guess what? John Waters makes a cameo appearance.

I'm not sure who has the outstanding performance in the movie because everyone gives it their A+ effort. The casting director did a great job on this movie.

Queen Laftifah continues to amaze me. In my opinion she was born to play Motormouth Maybelle And there were a bunch of giggles when John Travolta makes his screen appearance as Edna Turnblad...she/he can dance in a dress! I was a bit skeptical of Michelle Pfeiffer but she immediately won me over as Velma Von Tussle. I never would have imagined Christopher Walken in a movie musical but he was perfect as Wilbur Turnblad.

Bottom line: A good, fun movie with a good message. I'm still humming You Can't Stop The Beat.

2 comments:

mjr1066 said...

It was GREAT wasn't it Ty? I didn't make it opening day but caught the first showing this morning out here in the sticks. I missed John Waters but did catch Rikki Lake. There were some great lines I wish I could remember. I may have to go see this one again--soon.

My

Timmy said...

I missed Rikki Lake! Too bad they couldn't super-impose Divine.