Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day '07

I returned to NoRO a little while ago after doing the run wild 5K in Uptown Park. Proceeds from the run benefit Special Olympics Texas.
It would have been nice if the moisture hadn't fallen from the sky just as the run was going to begin. Look at it this way....1,000+ people running/walking on asphalt that is just getting wet. Surprisingly I didn't see anybody slip and fall and wipeout. Some of the streets were a bit uneven. (A teenager pulled a Zola Budd. I would have called him Zola to his face but he was too young to even know what I was talking about. LOL)

And speaking of the 1,000+ crowd. I looked around and realized that all walks of life were there. Anything from young to old, too skinny to overweight, and people of different ethnic origins...everyone was out there to kick off the July 4th holiday. Diversity is what makes the United States one of the best nations on this planet.

SIDEBAR: I deleted several paragraphs from this post before I published it. I didn't want to subject my readers to political repartee today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Today is Jim Sikorski's birthday. Jim was a Mardi Gras virgin until this past February when he was defrocked in New Orleans. It was on that trip that we realized we had known each other 10 years.

Jim is a regular on the National Anthem circuit at Minute Maid Park for Astros games. Isn't it appropriate that someone born on July 4 gets to sing the National Anthem? How cool is that?




1 comment: