Friday, July 13, 2007

Interview With A Diva


I was very pleased to get this interview. The legendary Kaye Sedilla tries to avoid the press and paparazzi. Barbara Walters, Katie Couric and Matt Lauer all wanted an exclusive interview with Kaye. I was fortunate to be selected.

Str8 Up With A Twist (SUWAT): First of all, may I call you Kaye or do you prefer Ms. Sedilla?
Kaye Sedilla (KS): Let’s start with you making eye contact with me and not looking down at your notes. If you break eye contact, the interview is over. Got it?

SUWAT: Yes I do, Ms. Sedilla.
KS: Good. And you can call me Kaye.

SUWAT: Everyone in Houston is looking forward to your performance on Sunday at Mr. & Miss Mint Julep. What can your fans expect?
KS: As a premiere performance artist, they can expect to be knocked off their feet. I’ll be doing a new song…new for me. If they demand it, I will come back later in the show and do a number from one of my previous shows. I hear that Beyonce’ is in The Bayou City this weekend. Everything she knows she learned from me. You might see us at Starbucks during the weekend trying to catch up on things. It's been awhile since we've had a good chat.

SUWAT: Why do you only perform once a year in Houston?
KS: Legacy Community Health Services is very near and dear to my heart. When they call it isn’t a matter of “will I perform”? It is a matter of “when and where do you need me?”

SUWAT: I noticed you have a launched a page on myspace.com. There seems to be a question about your age.
KS: Would you like to end the interview? Someone once said that a lady who will tell you her true age will tell you everything.

SUWAT: Uh. I’m sorry. Can I ask you about Matt Lauer?
KS: You can ask. Not sure that I have anything to say.

SUWAT: First of all, I know that he called you and wanted to do an interview and you said no. Is there some bad blood between you two?
KS: There isn’t bad blood. What’s between us is a woman named Annette. You know…his wife. Can we change the subject?

SUWAT: How are things between you and Madonna? She performed at Live Earth and you didn't.
KS: LOL Madge. Her and her fake British accent. What was up with her black outfit at the show? Tryin' to play it conservative in your old age Mo? I'm VERY selective about where I perform. I was there sitting in the Royal Box right behind William and Harry. You didn't see me?
I remember being a child and watching her (Madonna) perform in Detroit at various clubs (I'd sneak in) around town. She really upset me when she told Dick Clark on American Bandstand that she was 'going to rule the world.' New topic please.
SUWAT: Anything you’d like to say to your fans?
KS: Get there early! I’m second on the program and I “might be” talked into doing a 2nd number later in the show. And bring your dollar bills…5’s, 10’s and 20’s are always welcome.

SUWAT: Well Kaye. Thank you for your time.
KS: You're quite welcome.

No comments: