Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Ramblings Of A Caffeinated Mind 1.2

Greetings from the office. I've got a bunch of things on my mind this morning so bear with me, OK? Thanx. This is sort of a cornucopia of idle thoughts.

Heights Fun Run
A few Saturdays ago I did a 5K Fun Run in The Heights. It is one of my favorite runs because it is very much a neighborhood event...even though I don't live in the neighborhood I still like to run it. Anywhoo...they have a Kids Fun Run that goes along with it.

I was intrigued with this little girl who from the get-go was leading the pack. She had great form. I'm not sure where she lost the lead but she came in 2nd and only missed 1st place by a split second. You geaux girl! Keep an eye on her. She could be the next FloJo.

Tim Johnson: For The Chronicle
Ebony Smith, 8, left, and Christopher Delgado, 13, finish in first place in the girls and boys divisons of the 22nd annual Heights Fun Run.


"I have one word for you Benjamin. Recycle"
I am amazed at the amount of plastic, aluminum and paper that I can collect in a two week period. Yesterday was recycle day in NoRO. On Sunday night I took a photo of my recycle bins. Look at this! And this is what I remembered to save. We all need to do our part to recycle. I won't get on my soapbox YET about what doesn't happen at the office.

There was an editorial about recycling in yesterday's Houston Chronicle. Check it out.


Judge Judy
Did anybody see Judge Judy on Larry King Live last week? Did she actually say Elisabeth Hasselhoff instead of Elisabeth Hasselbeck? LOL


June Birthdays
As I mentioned in a previous post, I've lost my list of birthdays and I know I have forgotten a few. Mea culpa.

Here's a shout out to folks celebrating birthdays in June.

David in PHX had a birthday earlier this month. I have known David for almost 20 years. We met when I was 10. LOL (uh huh...sure) He was working at Trinity University and I was working at Texas Wesleyan University. I don't have a pic of David but I do have one of Elizabeth Taylor.
You see...we were in Albuquerque one time to do some sort of a college fair. We went out later that night and David was wearing an Elizabeth Taylor t-shirt. The image was sort of Warhol-esque on the front. If I remember correctly, on the back was this quote: "I've been through it all, baby, I'm mother courage.” –Elizabeth Taylor
I can't find the image so I'm going to post one of my favorite Elizabeth Taylor pictures.


Birthday greetings also to Ken in Qatar. I met Ken when he lived in Houston for a bit. Ken is actually from Canada and has his permanent residence in Calgary. Many good times have been shared with Ken and most of them have involved some sort of adult beverage.

Ken and I share a favorite moment in our friendship. A few years ago I went to visit him in Calgary. It was around July 4. We went to an outdoor rodeo and I have never been so cold in my entire life during the month of July. During the visit we had a fabulous dinner at his dinner table that involved a bunch of wine, laughter and music. Also at the dinner table were Joe and Brian. I remember waking up at some point in the wee hours of the morning under the dining room table. Don't worry, I wasn't the only one passed out in the dining room.

And last but not least, birthday greetings to Leah in Fort Worth. Leah and I met in college. She is one of those people that I may not speak to for months but when we do it's like we just spoke yesterday. Leah is one of the two people I credit with teaching me to like beer. I think one of my favorite memories is tubing down the Guadalupe River with her and Tracey and some other members of the Student Foundation. THEY had a tube specifically for beer! I don't have a pic of Leah but I will raise a beer mug in her honor.

No comments: