Saturday, June 16, 2007

Come on down!

I opted to stay in last night. I was feeling really run down and wondered if The Calvinator had slipped me a Mickey so that he could have run of the house.

I’m glad I stayed in because I forgot that it was Bob Barker’s final show on The Price Is Right(TPIR). TPIR is the longest running game show.

My first introduction to Bob was when he was host of Truth Or Consequences. I would watch the show with la familia Martinez.

TPIR premiered on September 4, 1972. I remember watching the show during the summer months when we would stay at Aunt Lulu’s. I remember the game where you had to guess the price of the car (one number at a time) and the price was less than $4,000. Of course the price of gasoline was also around $0.30.

I’m glad that the final show included Plinko. That was one game I always wanted to play.
Not much has changed over the past 35 years. Barker’s Beauties were still there. The contestants are still crazy. Like the guy who waited in line for five days, was the last contestant selected and then blew it. LOL Or the guy who fell down when he was trying to get to contestants row. The lady who won the showcase did really well. Close to $140,000 in prizes!

SIDEBAR: I thought it would have been great to bring back the lady who lost her tube top. Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction was nothing compared to Yolanda Bowsley’s malfunction in 1977.

True to form, Bob ended the show by reminding the viewers to “Help control the pet population; have your pet spayed or neutered.” This is a tribute to his wife Dorothy Jo who passed away in 1981. Dorothy was a champion of animal rights.
Bob…if you’re reading this…thanx for the great television memories. You truly are the King Of Daytime Television.

No comments: