Monday, June 11, 2007

There's No Business Like Show Business

OK. That previous post made me feel much better (even though I don't have a new pair of shoes). It's not 900A yet so most stores are still closed although I could shop online (but then I won't get the instant gratification.)

So let's think happy thoughts and take deep breaths and put the bad thoughts into a hot air balloon and float away. Uh huh...sure...right...whatever.

Can someone answer this for me. Why do people embrace Anne Heche? She is absolutely crazy and yet, there she is last night strutting across the stage at the Tony Awards. Why did they even invite her to be live on the telly?

My favorite moments from last night's telecast:

1. The opening number featuring the cast from A Chorus Line.

2. Watching the Underdogs win: David Hyde Pierce for Best Actor In A Musical (Curtains) and Julie White for Best Actress In A Play (The Little Dog Laughed). I haven't seen either production but their reactions were truly heartfelt and I love live television.
3. Seeing Bernadette Peters.
4. All of the production numbers.

Last night's telecast got me to thinking about my introduction to live theatre. There are two moments and I can't remember which came first but they both occurred at Casa Manana in Fort Worth when I was a mere tyke in short legged pants.



Aunt "D" took me to see Aesop's Fallibles (no, not fables) and when Joe & Helen took me to see Ruta Lee in Hello Dolly! There's something about the intimacy between the actors and the audience that I love and of course throw in some showtunes for good measure.


Believe it or not, the only time that I have actually appeared in a stage production was my senior year in high school when I portrayed Linus in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown.

During the awards show last night, my yard boy (aka Everyday Italian) called between commerical breaks. We were both wishing we were there and both wished that we were going to Broadway Bares next week.

I guess it's true what they were saying during last night's show: Everybody has a bit of Broadway in them.


I *heart* Broadway!

No comments: