Sunday, May 4, 2008

Derby Day (recap)


Yesterday was Derby Day. The reigning Mr. & Miss Mint Julep put together a wonderful party and fundraiser to benefit Legacy Community Health Services. Mint Juleps. Barefoot Wine. Bourbon Balls. Brisket and all of the trimmings. Beautiful weather. It was a bunch of fun. And yes, on the one day out of the year that I drink bourbon, I drank too much bourbon.

There was entertainment:



Just like the Kentucky Derby when Queen Elizabeth visited, Derby Days had royalty attend. Queen Olympus XXXVIII Kaylynn Burns (far right) was in attendance and entered the hat contest. (She is pictured with some of the Krewe members who attended.)

AttyHou wanted to make a hat that was very Kentuckyish so this is what he came up with. Being on a budget, I wanted to make a hat that I could wear for Derby Day and Cinco de Mayo. The flowers are made out of cocktail napkins.
There were several horse races during the afternoon. I entered a race and came in 2nd or 3rd.
Barefoot Wine provided complimentary Pinot Grigio, Shiraz and Sparkling Wine for the attendees. Austin seemed to be having a good time giving away his stuff.

I saw John Paul looking lost in the parking lot. It seems that he lost his horse so I offered him a ride home. I guess if we had been at the BRB they could have played that song, "Save A Horse. Ride A Cowboy."

After all of the fun was over, we went home, showered, changed, walked The Calvinator and went to JR's. From there we went to Tony's Corner Pocket. However, on the way I took AttyHou on a detour and we stopped at Bering & James for a gallery opening. Needless to say, I'm a bit tired today. :-)

4 comments:

Viv said...

What a fun party! Your hat is very Cinco de Mayo. I loved AttyHou's hat. I just laughed so hard over here.
Get some R&R.

Margo said...

How fun!! Love your hat and AttyHou's!
Wow - I so can't drink bourbon much anymore! You're hardcore.

Anonymous said...

WOW! JohnPaul and I REALLY appreciate your participation and your rave reviews of the party! It was the first time we did it but certainly won't be the last! What a fun time! And your pictures are great! Love ya always!
Ginger

AnnaBanana said...

What great pics! I esp. love the last one!

Great hats!

I wish I could come up with a creative finger-licking-good comment for AttyHou, but the brain is dead tonight....

Your hat can also provide good sun protection during the art car parade next weekend! (Love the creativity!)