Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mercy

It was last year around this time that I heard a song and I remember thinking, "Who is that soul sister?" Did some research and turns out it was Amy Winehouse from the U.K.

A few weeks ago, I saw a preview for American Gladiators and they used a soul sister singing, Mercy. I was vaguely familiar with the artist known as Duffy.

Somewhere along the way I scanned a review of her cd after it dropped and the name Dusty Springfield was used. That was all I remembered until today.

I listened to Rockferry today and I am hooked! I'm amazed that this 24 year old Welch girl has a voice like that! I wasn't sure if I would like the cd but I listened to it while I was running this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.



And speaking of mercy. Mercy me. What Happened. That is the title of Scott McClellan's new book about his time as White House Press Secretary for George W. Oh my. He does sound a bit disgruntled but I think I am going to have to read this book. You see...

A couple of years ago I was at a meeting in Washington D.C. There were maybe 200 of us there so it was a nice, small intimate conference of some movers and shakers within the banking/student loan industry.

Scott was the guest speaker at the luncheon. I remember telling someone at my table that I had a feeling he was holding back in what he wanted to say. Couldn't quite put my finger on it but I just had a gut feeling.

He did a Q&A and there were plenty of questions. Time ran out before I could ask him, "If Bush and his inner-circle could do it all over again, how would you change the response to Hurricane Katrina and can you tell us what type of discussions were being held?"

I have a feeling part of the answer is in the book.

3 comments:

Viv said...

I'm super into Duffy! iPod playlist top rated.

Viv said...

I finally watched Ugly Betty. I never laughed so hard! did you notice all Madge songs??

David Dust said...

That's so funny, I saw the same preview for American Gladiators, and was totally jamming to that song. I had no idea who it was.

She is REALLY talented!