Monday, May 12, 2008

LIVESTRONG Day (May 13)

The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) announced that tomorrow is LIVESTRONG Day. It is a one day initiative to raise awareness and funds for the fight against cancer.

I just found out about it so I haven't planned an event. However, I will wear something yellow tomorrow and I'll wear my LIVESTRONG bracelet.

At times my opinion of Lance has run hot and cold. However, there have been a few things that have happened that have helped me to cement my positive opinion of Lance.

1. He is lending his name and his story to fight the war on cancer. My assumption is that most people either know someone who has battled cancer or they have fought the battle themselves. I don't have any stats readily available about the number of cancer survivors or the amount of money spent for research and treatment; I know it is high. So if Lance can do something to get funds allocated then good for him (and I mean that in a positive way).

2. Lance ran the 2006 NYC Marathon and it was a humbling experience. The 7 time winner of the Tour de France really didn't train and figured he could just get up and run 26.2 miles. It was a humbling experience for Lance. He gained a new respect for long distance runners. He trained and was better prepared for NYC 2007 and Boston 2008.

So, if you haven't planned your wardrobe for Tuesday (May 13), consider wearing something yellow. And for more information about LIVESTRONG Day, click here.

5 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Great post, I been supporting this foundation for several years now and will wear my yellow jersey for tomorrows training run.

Thanks!

Viv said...

I love how Lance has made cancer his personal goal to fight. I will wear my Livestrong Challenge shirt tomorrow, even if it does make me more uniboob looking than ever. LOL!

Rick said...

Tim I can think of some fun places for you to try out your bracelot. :)
I'll be wearing my CK briefs with just a hint of yellow. IN FRONT! :)
Good cause.

Timmy said...

bob gentile and viv: I need to find my LIVESTRONG shirt and wear it tomorrow when I go running.

viv: a uniboob? LOL I have never heard of such a thing. LOL

cj: I had never thought of that before. Send me a pic of your CK undies. :-)

A Girl From Texas said...

I"m not sure I have anything that's yellow...I"ll try though.