Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Un-Gala

So last night I met with a group of people to talk about some stuff. I saw Barista Brandon who always makes me smile.

During our conversation about stuff, I was asked about the dinner on Saturday night. I expressed my disappointment in Ru. One of the guys commented on how we are always so critical of the event (which isn't totally true because in previous years I have given kudos for them bringing in Judith Light, Kathy Griffin and Leslie Jordan) but yet we continue to go.

This then morphed into a discussion about the good work that the group does, etc. and how we will always support them even if the entertainment is a bit questionable.

So on the heels of that conversation, I run across this,

From Page 6 @ http://www.nypost.com/:

November 11, 2007 -- JOHN Waters, the demented genius behind “Hairspray" and “A Dirty Shame," has come up with a new way to raise money. Instead of a black-tie dinner filled with boring speeches, bad music and worse food, he's dreamed up what he calls “an un-gala. You have to prove your outfit cost less than $200. You have to have been photographed in it one time before and bring the picture," he told Lisa Phillips, the director of the new Museum of Contemporary Art on The Bowery, in an interview in the new issue of Bergdorf Goodman magazine. “The cleaning crew . . . gives the speeches. You draw a ticket to which table you sit at. There are no power tables." Phillips wondered, “Would anyone come?" Waters: “You don't tell them till they get there! And you let everyone in free and make 'em pay to get out. That definitely would work. You could have fun with the whole thing. And un-raise money."

In other news...

I decided I didn't want to get as big as a house so I got up this morning and had a good 3.5 mile run. Maybe I'll just get as big as a condo.




No comments: