Sunday, June 8, 2008

T 'n T (This and That for June 8, 2008)

UPDATE: OK. A few days ago, I posted this. I probably won't know anything until sometime this week. I don't want to tell you what is going on (it's not a health issue so don't fret) because I am so afraid of jinxing myself. I even picked up a penny tonight in the church parking lot. Just keep good vibes coming my way. Thanx.

Heights Fun Run: Yesterday was an anniversary of sorts. AttyHou and I did The Heights Fun Run. I told the story a few months ago about what we did 11 years ago prior to the run.

As expected, it was hot and humid. I did OK. My PR for a 5K is 23:58 and I did that back in 2000 or 2001. Trust me. I wasn't near 23:58 yesterday. I'm not as young and thin as I was back in 2000 & 2001.

I saw but didn't have a chance to speak to Running For Gold. I've never met him but I keep up with his running prowess. He was probably cooled off and in his car on his way home by the time I crossed the finish line all hot and sweaty.

I know it sounds like I was miserable but it was fun. It did make for a long day though. You see...
I had to get up early to take The Calvinator for his morning stroll prior to the run. After the run, I did a weight workout then it was time for Calvin's mid-day stroll at the park, then I went to AttyHou and Everyday Italian's to sit out by the pool. Then we went to a wonderful soiree at Joel & Arnold's in the 009.

I guess I got home around 1130p and then passed out on the couch. I woke up around 330a and went to bed.

Don't Get Around Much Anymore: Last night at the soiree, I spoke with several people that I haven't seen in a long time. There was a period of time in my life when I was out and about Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Sometimes, I'd throw in a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday just for good measure. Don't forget those Sunday brunches at La Strada!

I'm not sure what happened. I know cigarette smoke started bothering me. I really didn't like coming home from being out and smelling like I had been in a bar even though I had been in a bar. Also, I started getting more involved in organizations and associations. Plus, there was a period when I was doing quite a bit of business travel so when I was in Houston, I wanted to just stay home.

During the period of me being out and about I did meet quite a few nice people and last night I saw several who said the same thing, "I don't go out much anymore." What none of us said: "We're old, bitter, jaded, cynical and alcohol sodden." LOL It was good to see some old familiar faces.

Show Dog (not Showgirls): Last week I took The Calvinator for his summer cut. He looks really cute with his lion coiffure. Well ever since then, people keep wanting to pet him or they smile at him ('cause I know it ain't me they're smiling at), etc.

Today we went for a 27 minute walk at Memorial Park and we were sitting in the jungle gym area cooling off. (The Tim-o-meter guesses it was in the low 90s.) One guy comes over and wants to pet Calvin. Then another guy comes over and asks, "What is his breed?" I replied, "He is a mix of Wheaten Terrier and something else." He says, "He looks like a show dog."

No one has ever given him THAT kind of compliment. It made my day. The comment was lost on Calvin.

Tagged: Idle Random Thoughts has tagged me. At least she didn't tag me for HNT (Half Naked Thursday) or Nude Vlog like some bloggers have done to each other! So here are my answers:

4 Jobs I've Held:
Waiter
Shoe salesperson
Bank teller
University Director of Admission

4 Movies I Could Watch Over and Over:
Young Frankenstein
Dick
Camp
Unzipped

4 Places I Have Lived:
Haltom City, TX
Fort Worth, TX
San Antonio, TX
Houston, TX

4 TV Shows I Like:
Top Chef
Amazing Race
Ugly Betty
Today Show

4 Things I Do Everyday:
Shower (usually more than once)
Walk Calvin
Go to Starbucks
Read blogs

4 Favorite Foods:
Mexican (from just about anywhere)
Annie Marie's homemade rum cake that my parents ship to me from Ft. Worth
cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, swiss, smoked gouda...just to name a few)
Jambalaya (made by me)

4 Places I'd Rather Be:
San Diego
Sydney
New Orleans
in a big house (not the big house) on a beach surrounded by friends and Calvin

6 comments:

David Dust said...

You mentioned not wanting to smell like cigarrette smoke after going out...

One of the absolute BEST things to happen in NYC was the smoking ban in bars and restaurants. You can now go out and not smell like a bar when you get home.

Of course now I don't go out much anymore, so I don't enjoy the smoke-free bars as much as I should. But it's just SO much less hassle getting shit-faced in your own home.

:)

A Girl From Texas said...

Fun post

Timmy said...

back in September, the no smoking ban went into effect in H-town. you'd think I'd be busting down the door to get in a bar but I'm so out of the habit now. and yes, it is easier to get tipsy in your own domicile. ;-)

Viv said...

I always LOL when I read about 9o.
Can we get a Calvin new do' pic?
That was cool to find out fun facts about Timmy!
Sounds like it was a fun weekend. That is one rockin' PR you set for yourself.

"Tommy" said...

You're so right my friend, being old, jaded, cynical and not with the bee bop of a Saturday night on the town is good.

Sittin on the porch, looking down 18th Street and into the other part of the Garden District is just fine with me.

About being jinxed.... I complete understand that, as my confirmation approaches for my new career in city government, I am trying to keep a low profile.

So be it

hope all works out for you

Rick said...

Timmy what the heck do you mean you don't get out much anymore? I was sweating myself after reading of your busy day.lol
Just where are the pics of Calvin's new do? You afraid of some competition from Calvin?
I remember enjoying La Strada a few times back in the mid 90's and Ruggle's too. Now I never make it down on lower Westheimer.
More good vibes out your way.