Thursday, September 27, 2007

Name Calling

I was at a cocktail party/fundraiser this evening for Equality Texas and I received a text message. I didn't look at it until I got home. Here is what it said: Wh_re!

That got me to thinking. In the past week, I have been called two new names. Tonight's wh_re isn't anything new. I've been called worse by better people. LOL

So you're probably wondering, "What were you called?" Well, a week ago Tuesday I was called a cesspool. That was a new one. And when the person said it, it really didn't register until Realtor Alan kind of gave me a look. Of all the names I've been called, that was a new one.

So then on Tuesday night, the name was changed from cesspool to kiosk. LOL I was told it sounded much better than cesspool and it was more Russian sounding. LOL

And speaking of wh_re...one time when I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras I was covered in beads. Someone walked up to me and said, "Bead wh_re!" To which I replied, "At least I have the word bead before wh_re rather than just being a wh_re like you!"

Maybe one day I'll come up with a whole list of names I've been called throughout my life. It may take awhile to compose it; I've been around for awhile.

In other news...
One more comment about Trash Disco.

On September 1st, the City of Houston enacted a No Smoking policy in bars. I hadn't been into a bar since the policy went into effect and let me tell you, it makes a HUGE difference.
When I walked into the Cha-Cha Palace...I mean Rich's...on Sunday, it didn't smell like it usually does. And get this: I didn't have to come home and throw my clothes in the washer and jump in the shower to get the smell of smoke off of me. It reminded me of going to bars in California and getting back to the hotel not smelling like you had been at a bar.

I know. I know. I know. The smokers don't like the policy because it infringes upon their rights, etc. Well folks, I can't take up for you on this one. You can always go outside and puff.


Attack of the Tsetse flies (again)




I was with Blaine yesterday at the Krewe's storage unit and there must have tsetse flies out there because by 1000p last night I was fast asleep on the couch. At some point, I made it to the bedroom and The Calvinator was fast asleep. I guess I didn't set the alarm because I didn't wake up until 700A. Which means I didn't go running.

HOWEVER, I thought I'd be smart and go at noon. After all, there were rain clouds in the area and I figured it would rain and cool off a bit. WRONG!

What was I thinking? It had to be around 90 degrees and the clouds disappeared and the sun came out. That was one of the hardest 3 miles I have run in a long time. I do have to look at it this way though, at least I got three miles in today.

Fais Do Do (from Wikipedia):

Fais do-do is a name for a Cajun dance party, originating before World War II. According to Mark Humphrey's notes from the Roots n' Blues CD "Cajun Dance Party - Fais Do-Do", the parties were named for "...the gentle command ('go to sleep') young mothers offered bawling infants." He quotes early Cajun musician Edwin Duhon of the Hackberry Ramblers, "She'd go to the cry room, give the baby a nipple and say, 'Fais do-do.' She'd want the baby to go to sleep fast, 'cause she's worried about her husband dancing with somebody else out there."

'Do-do' itself is a shortening of the French verb dormir (to sleep), used primarily in speaking to small children. Comparable to the American English "beddy-bye", it is still commonly used by French-speaking people.

More about this in an upcoming post!

2 comments:

"Tommy" said...

Well don't mind those shallow thinking folks....

just come on out to Tesuque NM and we will take pictures of those sunrises and sets...

Margo said...

I thought the lyrics could be from "Like a Prayer", but heck if I know the correct lyrics! I could make "Last night I dreamt of some bagles" work in that song! :)