Sunday, September 2, 2007

Red Hot

Yesterday I ventured over to MFA/Houston to check out one of the exhibits. I figured the crowds would be over at the Museum of Natural Science viewing Lucy. The MFA/H was almost empty...it was nice!

The exhibit is a collection of contemporary Asian art from the Chaney (not Cheney) family of Houston. Other than the Feng Zheng Jie piece that has been used for the promo and a post on LoneStarSteve's blog, I really didn't know what to expect.



I'm glad I went to view the exhibit. Even though the term contemporary is used in the description I guess I was still expecting more traditional Asian art.

Some of my favorite pieces were from The Luo Brothers. Their pieces from Welcome To The World's Most Famous Brands were really fun.




This piece is not on exhibit but is an example of the work that they do.

The FENG Zheng Jie pieces were really interesting. I wish I had a big house with big walls...oh and lots of money...to display a couple of his pieces of art.


I was amazed at Karma by Do-Ho Suh. I kept viewing it from different angles.



The shoes look like a pair of Kenneth Coles that I have.

There was another interesting piece. It is Paratrooper III also by Do-Ho Suh. The parachute is made of six circles of organza shirts. I can't remember what the torso was made of but it was really interesting.

There was a 5+ minute video that someone had made. The person went to Chinatown in New York City and played a rap song by The Notorious MSG (LOL) and asked people to dance to the music...and they did. It was funny. It was a good portrayal of mixing something Occidental with something Oriental.

In LoneStarSteve's blog, he was quizzical about the works of art displayed outside. I must say, I'm not sure what they are trying to portray. I'll leave that up to each of you to decide.



Jurassic Age by Sui Jiango










Spirit Way by Yue Minjun


The exhibit is on view through October 21, 2007. Check it out!


nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Akeelah and the Bee

I was sorta in a restless mood last night and couldn't decide what to do. While pondering the possibilities for nocturnal activities, I ran across this movie on Showtime. I figured I'd watch a few minutes and then get on with the evening.

Two hours later, the movie was over and I was still sitting on the couch. It's a cute, little movie. I was actually surprised that one of the words in the championship round was lagniappe

I'm not sure who designed the dvd cover but the names don't match up with the faces.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn


Attack of the killer ants

I took The Calvinator over to Memorial Park today. I wanted to get over there before it rained. We were on our merry way and he stops to poop. No big deal. I get off of the running trail and step in the grass to wait. He finishes, I do my civic duty and then my right ankle starts to burn!

I look down and there are fire ants all over my right shoe and ankle!!! I have ants on me, a bag of poop in one hand and Calvin and his leash in the other hand...and there's no place to sit.

I run over to a trash can and attempt to take off my shoe but now the ants are also all over the shoelace and they're still biting me. I finally mange to kick off my shoe, get the extra plastic bag and use that to get them off my ankle and my shoe...and just as all of this is transpiring Calvin wants to rumble with a dog that is passing by us.

It took a couple of hours for the stinging to stop. My ankle is red but I'll be fine. One word: O-U-C-H!

1 comment:

"Tommy" said...

rain brings those lil buggers out.

dont let your foot get infected from the bites either.