Monday, September 17, 2007

Ramblings Of A Caffeinated Mind 4.2

I was actually going to title this post Ramblings Of A Constipated Mind but then I went to eat at JAX Grille and ate a HUGE Chicken Caesar Salad and now I think things might flow like they should.

You've prolly noticed that I haven't been putting much out here. A big part of that is because I was getting ready for Tropical Depression #46. Another part of it is because I feel like I'm having a bit of writer's block and since I can't take a laxative for that I'm not sure what to do. Maybe a Martini or two? And something is really bothering me today so maybe if I write about it and get it off of my mind, that will help.


nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn


After a wonderful Friday evening with Linda Eder, I overslept on Saturday morning. I didn't on the alarm clock and just happened to wake up. I took The Calvinator for his morning stroll and then went over to Memorial Park. I only had time for a 5 mile run which I guess is better than nothing at all. If I had more time, I could have done an additional 2 or 3 miles but I had things to do and people to see.

The good thing about Saturday's run is that I didn't have a case of droopy drawers. The humidity was high but not as high as the previous Saturday so I wasn't sweating as much.


The rest of the day was spent getting ready for Tropical Depression #46. I was up to my eyeballs in Jambalaya. When Jim and I lived together I remember he told me one time, "Nobody makes Jambalaya like you do." Over the years I have received several additional compliments. So when it came time to decide about catering vs. cooking, I opted for cooking.

I couldn't have done the party without Ben's help and Michael's creative eye. Ben made dozens of mini-Po' Boys. We used the Antone's concept of putting Chow-Chow with mayo for the dressing and they were yummy! Ben also created a recipe for Cajun Vegetable Dip. It had a secret ingredient that I won't reveal. And we also served Zapp's Chips and Praline Brownies from Acadian Bakers.


I didn't do a full bar. Guests had the choice of Barefoot Cellars Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay, beer (Bud Light, Abita and O'Doul's), soft drinks (Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite) and a special Tropical Depression #46 frozen drink (Hurricane mix with orange vodka, an umbrella and a cherry). I didn't think I was going to like the TD #46 drink but that sucker was good!

The party was at Legacy's Resale Store. In lieu of a birthday present I asked the guests to consider making a monetary donation to Legacy or to bring an item for the store. Also, some of my guests have been longtime supporters of Legacy and this party was also serving as a thank you for all that you have done type event.


I'm not trying to sound egotistical but it was a fun time. Kenny In Montrose (KIM) wrote this about the party:

In theory the party benefited Legacy Resale Shop but in reality it was just flat out fun. The guests all enjoyed each other so much fun that they stayed until the bitter end.


I'm not sure if you have ever made Jambalaya but it's all about getting the right ingredients in the right proportions. That's sort of how I view the party. It wasn't all about the food and drinks. It was about having a good mix of friends for a good cause and making sure everyone had a good time.


And all of this couldn't have been done without the help of some of Legacy's staff: Alaina, Martha, Phil and Chris.

I haven't had a chance to work on the photos but I'll be getting those on here soon.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

So this is what's bothering me.

This morning I woke up a bit later than usual and didn't get out with The Calvinator until around 645A. We were on our usual morning route and a block away I saw 2 HPD cars and there were cops walking the perimeter of a fenced yard.

When we came back around on the other side of the block there were 3 HPD K-9 units which is never a good sign. Of course, the dogs could see The Calvinator but he couldn't see them and he could hear them in their SUVs so he is going nuts in the middle of the street.

I left Calvin at the house and then went for a 3 mile run at Memorial Park. There was no way I wasn't going to enjoy the low humidity morning!!!

Later in the day when we went for our mid-day stroll I saw a lady near one of the houses on Dickson where the cops had been. Turns out she is the mother of the guy that lives in one of the houses.

This morning around 600A while he was asleep upstairs 2 men broke into his house. When he realized what was happening he called 911. The cops told him that there has been a rash of burglaries in the 'hood and they're happening between 500A-700A. What the f___? People are still home at that hour! Somebody is either cracked out or has a big set of cajones.

If I had awakened at my normal time, we would have been near the house around the time that the break in happened. Awhile back I stopped carrying my cell phone and mace with me on our walks but I guess it's time I start doing it again.

So let's see...leash, poop bag, keys, cell phone, mace...I guess I'll just put Calvin in a wagon and haul him along with everything else. :-) Actually, I normally wear a pair of running shorts or gym shorts so I guess I'll wear cargo shorts instead. I'll designate one pair for Calvin walking.
I thought when I left Montrose and moved to NoRO life would be quiet. Oh well.

No comments: