Saturday, September 22, 2007

Buh-buh-buh-buh-Bennie and The Jets

I think I broke my alarm clock this morning. I really wanted to get to Memorial Park around 630A or so. So the alarm went off and in my attempt to hit the snooze I knocked it to the floor and uh...hmmm...it never went off again.

I finally woke up and got The Calvinator out the door around 710A or so for our morning stroll. I saw guys carrying stuff down an alley and putting the stuff in a van. Immediately I thought it was a burglary in progress only to realize some of my neighbors were having a garage sale and these were some customers.

It was actually a good morning for a run. I had a good 7 mile run. Yesterday I loaded Elton John Rocket Man n Number Ones onto the iPod nano. I had listened to a few of the tunes yesterday at LeFittes so I decided I'd give it another whirl this morning on the run.

Wow! Talk about a trip down memory lane.

One of my favorite songs by Elton John is Bennie and The Jets. I consider this some of Elton's best piano playing. The syncopation is flawless. And I guess I never realized that Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) is a great running song especially on a Saturday morning with low humidity and a moderate temperature.

Many of the other songs took me back to my youth. The one that I appreciated later in life is Tiny Dancer. It wasn't until I watched Almost Famous that I took a true liking to this song. I always visualize the scene on the bus when they're singing the song and I always think of Penny Lane. And I remember being on the flight to Sydney and listening to this song and playing it over and over and over (not quite for 18 hours though).


nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I'm a bit spent right now while I'm composing this and watching the Ugly Betty marathon on abc family.

Earlier I met up with the blogger formerly known as LoneStar Steve. We met at the office in Montrose and I must say that it was much more active than the one on Memorial Drive in NoRO.

The atmosphere at the Montrose location allows folks to be much more flamboyant but what was happening outside was much more interesting/disturbing.

First of all, a bird was stuck in a tree; not a cat. The bird had it's foot caught in a piece of wire(?) and was hanging upside down. I thought it was dead but the blogger formerly known as LoneStar Steve pointed out it was alive which explained why customers and employees were trying to free it. Eventually mission accomplished.

Just as we were getting ready to leave, we noticed a man across the street was laying on the sidewalk face down. An employee and several outdoor customers ran over to help him. My initial thought was some type of seizure or something related to diabetes. I think it was diabetes related. The police and an ambulance arrived.

Before moving to NoRO, I lived in Montrose. It is a very eclectic neighborhood and there is ALWAYS something going on. Today was just a microcosm.

But back to the blogger formerly known as LoneStar Steve. I almost didn't recognize him. His hair is back to it's natural color. He has lost weight. He is toning up. He has a nice tan going. Add all of that to a great personality and well you should just bottle it up and sell it and make a fortune.

It was fun to sit there and laugh and catch up. I hadn't seen him since Kaye Sedilla was in town. Kaye is so high maintenance that I barely had to time to visit with the blogger formerly know as LoneStar Steve.

So...The Calvinator is passed out right now and I think I might join him for a short nap.

Catch up with you later.

No comments: