Sunday, April 20, 2008

I'm Still Here (Apr. 20)

I just realized that it has been several days since I have posted anything on the blog. It's been a hectic few days. Lots of stuff going on.

Throw in some really nice weather here in H-town and well, let's just say The Calvinator is getting lots of time outside on our walks and I'm getting a base tan.

Last night I had a nice time wishing a friend a Happy 28th Birthday. I invited someone to go with me (just in case I didn't know anybody at the party) and on the way over I commented that the birthday boy's mother was going to be there. Then I started doing some calculations and realized that his mother could be my age and I was old enough to be the birthday boy's father. OY!

The birthday boy put on a really nice party for himself. His aunt commented about him throwing his own party and I told her that sometimes it is just easier that way. You can plan the party that you want and more importantly you can control the guest list!

Which brings me to something that has been on my mind and it has to do with manners and class.

Recently there have been several instances where I have either seen someone exhibit a lack of manners or I have seen someone exhibit true class. There was a recent episode on The Real Housewives of New York City that dealt with manners. The Countess LuAnn (platter) went off on Ramona and basically called her out on not having any manners. That episode generated several conversations with some friends about class, manners and good public decorum.

So last night at the party, my guest and I strike up a conversation with someone that was feeling the need to air every ounce of pretentiousness in his body. And let's just say, he wasn't a small person so there was a bunch of pretentiousness oozing from his pores.

He felt the need to make snide remarks about people who were cuter and younger than him. He said that they would never speak to people like us. EXCUSE ME?!?! I proceeded to tell him that if I wanted to I could walk up to any of them and strike up a conversation.

He also started this game about being coy and not revealing his age because well...we were the oldest guys there.

In the course of the conversation he told us that he was born and raised in South Africa. I know two people who were born and raised in South Africa and they have an accent that could be confused with being Aussies. This guy didn't have that accent and I told him that I had not detected an accent. He then tells us that people of a certain class who were born and raised in South Africa were taught to lose their accents. He said he lived in a compound (like a sect maybe?) but I think he meant in a gated community.

We did our best to get away from him but he was like a gnat. The more we swatted the more he came around.

We left and went to Meteor (aka Meet-A-Whore) and guess who was there? Him. He followed us around for a bit and tried to strike up another conversation. At that point I had had enough of him and his attitude and so had my guest. At some in our conversation he pointed out to us that he was wearing big rings and he could hit us with them or something like that. (And yes he was wearing big rings with big stones...imagine costume jewelry at Macy's in the women's department.)

I don't understand people who feel like they need to put on airs and then in the process be catty. In my opinion, it shows they have a low self-esteem and a true lack of manners.

I can't imagine Jackie Kennedy or Lynn Wyatt doing something like that. And while I wanted to call him out (like The Countess LuAnn (platter) did to Ramona), I was also reminded of a letter that was sent to Ann Landers or Dear Abby.

Someone wrote in and said that she had been at a dinner party. She said that one of the guests had not displayed good manners and used the wrong fork. She wanted to know if there was a polite way to point out to someone that they had used the wrong fork.

Ann Landers or Dear Abby replied back that a person with good manners would never point out to someone that they had used the wrong fork.

3 comments:

"Tommy" said...

your right

he is a poor soul

take pity on him

knowing that he will lead a miserable life, due to his failings, and never know or understand it him self

David Dust said...

There is NOTHING worse than a tacky queen with tacky jewelry!

You were OBVIOUSLY raised well. I, on the other hand, would have had to tell that biatch about herself...

SunWolf said...

You did good! I agree with David, your mama raised you right. You have excellent manners. And I love your description of the Pretentious One as a gnat! So visual.