Friday, April 4, 2008

Music makes the people come together



Music has always been a part of my life. As a child, I had the quite the collection of 45s and albums. That then developed into a collection of 8-tracks and then cassettes which then developed into quite a collection of cds and now MP3 files on my iPod nano.

I went to my first rock concert when I was about 10 years old. The group was then known as The Chicago Transit Authority (they had to change their name to Chicago). There have been many, many, many more concerts since then.

And you will also remember that I am a big fan of musicals. In the event of a nuclear war there are several things that will survive: cockroaches, Cher, Tonya Harding and showtunes.

What you may not know is that I played the clarinet in band when I was in high school. I was in the choir in high school. I play the guitar and I have sung in various church choirs at different times in my life.

I usually have a song stuck in my head at any given moment. Something will happen and I will think of a song. You know how in musicals when someone bursts out singing...that is my reality.

I am one of those people who wants "to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony..."

I always thought that the months of October, November & December were big months for albums & cds to drop. However, March & April of '08 seem to be big months for cds to drop...or at least cds from artists that I like.

Kylie Minogue's X is now available in the States. R.E.M. has released Accelerate. The B-52s have released Funplex. And in a few weeks Madonna will release Hard Candy.

I listened to Kylie's X the other night while I was at LeFittes and like it. There are some great songs but I need to listen to it a few more times to determine my favorites.

I found another clip of her while she is doing her media blitz here in the States.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love Kylie. "X" is a great album, I think you'll end up liking most of it. I won't name any favorites so as not to bias you, but I have several on rotation on my iPod.