Sunday, April 13, 2008

Is it the end of the world? (revisted)

Tonight I was sitting in the couture collection at Neiman-Marcus rubbing elbows with the fashionistas and glitterati of Houston's high society. It was quite an evening and all for a good cause. Proceeds from the evening will go to Legacy Community Health Services.

I was sitting at a table with some high powered attorneys and their friends and somehow the topic of discussion switched to Top Chef and Project Runway. Being that we were in the couture collection it was appropriate that we discuss Project Runway.

So then I break the news that Nina Garcia has been auf'd by ELLE Magazine and there was a collective gasp from the other guests; something I didn't expect.

I just checked Reality Blurred and here is some additional about Nina's departure:

Project Runway judge Nina Garcia is out from her job as fashion director at Elle magazine, leaving her future as a judge on the show’s sixth season in question. It hasn’t yet been confirmed whether she was fired or left on her own.

“Speculation about Garcia’s departure has swirled for months, especially after the arrival of Joe Zee at the beginning of 2007 as creative director,” according to Women’s Wear Daily, which first reported her departure.

A commenter on New York Magazine’s post about her departure said “her office was entirely boxed, packed, and waiting in the hallways addressed to her home on the upper east by 5pm yesterday. Plus, the gaggle of crying assistants dragging deflated cardboard down the hall for assembly, in addition to Nina’s demonstrative speaking behind closed doors (made visible by a glass partition) also prompts one to believe that she was not leaving of her own accord.”

It was sort of a reality tv kind of night what with excellent food from Tony's (imagine the Top Chef contestants having to cater a high quality meal for 300 guests), sitting in the fancy dress department (make it work Project Runway contestants) and the entertainment for the evening was ballroom dancing (at one point when the music started I said, "They're going to dance the paso doble."...thank you Dancing With The Stars). I must say that somedays I feel like I'm on Survivor.

5 comments:

David Dust said...

Sounds like quite an evening you had! And thanks for the additional information on Nina (I've been too busy to sniff around myself).

I bet Ms. Garcia was NOT a pleasant person to be around this weekend...

Anonymous said...

Swanky.
It sounds like a great evening. I hope that Legacy raised some serious money.
How was the HRC dinner?

Anonymous said...

I also just read on AOL that there is huge drama as the Project Runway producers are trying to move it from Bravo to Lifetime! It's one one of Bravo's top shows... if they lose it they're gonna be screwed!
Poor Nina! I'm sure we could use her in a Macy's commercial!

Viv said...

I was thinking fo writing Nina, whatha think.
Nina, I am hiring for someone to dress to me to look spectacular and not cheap. I pay nada, but think of the self gratification.

sounds, like a wonderful time, you had me at couture and Neimans..

SunWolf said...

Hi Timmy, I was in Houston visiting my sister (GFT) last week, and we looked for you and Calvin at Starbucks. Sadly, you weren't there. We didn't want to hang around too long because we didn't want you to think we were stalking you.

I'm glad you had a good evening!