Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Latin Grammys Are Coming To Houston

I've sorta been on a Mexican/Latin roll with my posts so here is one more...

So yesterday when I was listening to the 400p news with Erik Barajas, not with him in the house but with him on the telly, they announced that Houston will be hosting the Latin Grammys on November 13.

No. This isn't your abuelas (the Latin Grannys). This is the awards show for Latin recording artists.

Folks, this is HUGE! HUGE I tell ya!

Previous host cities have been Miami and Las Vegas and I believe Los Angeles.

When I heard the news, I immediately sent a text message to Kaye Sedilla. You see, Kaye is making her annual Houston appearance on Sunday, July 20 at the Mr. & Miss Mint Julep Contest. Kaye Sedilla only appears once a year in Houston because she is on tour the rest of the time.

So I'm hoping that Kaye can clear her calendar and make another visit to Houston November 13.

There is a rumor floating around town that Beyonce will make an apperance at the Latin Grammys. Her dad, Matthew Knowles, said that Beyonce is working on another Spanish cd that will drop in November so timing is everything.

Kaye's people will be contacting Beyonce's people because Kaye would LOVE to do a duet with Beyonce. She sings the NorteƱa Mix of Irreplaceable (Irremplazable) all of the time...even if she doesn't know the words.



It's kind of like that girl singing Ken Lee instead of Without You.

If you want the 411 on the Latin Grammy's, click here.

I do have another comment to make...When this city was building Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center and Reliant Stadium, there was a bunch of moaning and groaning (just like what's going on with the soccer stadium). Folks, we need venues and hotel rooms and attractions that will bring major events to this city (i.e. Super Bowl, All Star Game, Latin Grammys). We have quite a bit going on this city and it just isn't about stadiums and arenas.

We just dedicated a brand new Cathedral (co-cathedral to be correct) and this weekend will be the grand opening of Discovery Green.

It just goes to prove that "If you build it, they will come."

4 comments:

Viv said...

I am all for it let our city keep growing! How exciting the latin grammys here. I wonder how much tickets will be. I really just want to be at the red carpet deal.

Margo said...

You really made me laugh with the "Latin grannys"! And with your clafication that Eric Barajas wasn't watching tv with you. Then I had to cover my eyes since I don't believe I ever want to see that much of Beyonce! At least she got a good wax...

Anonymous said...

Kaye is fierce.

Timmy said...

viv: would love to do the red carpet and scream for people that I don't know who they are but I'm sure the fashions will be fierce.

margo: LOL

alnhouston: ...tranny mess