Friday, March 28, 2008

Theater & Politics (Theatrical Politics?)


Picture this. Houston. 2008. Starbucks on the edge of River Oaks. The big one not the little one.

I'm sitting there reading the paper and reading blogs; multi-tasking reading is what I call it.

I hadn't checked Lazy Circles in a couple of days so I'm reading his blog while the man at the table next to me is reading the New York Times.


Lazy Circles posted the footage of Chelsea responding to the question about Monica Lewinsky and Lazy Circles asks, "When can she run for president?"


I look over at the man next to me and he is reading a review of Patti Lupone in Gypsy on Broadway.

Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

So then I go to the comments section and read this from one of Lazy Circles readers: "I too love Chelsea, but fear of a very Gypsy Rose Lee situation if mother doesn't win the nomination."

LOL THAT is too funny! The timing of it all!

If you're not familiar with the story of Gypsy, read the review. Oh...to be rich and live in NYC and to be able to go the theatre.

I guess now I'll have to watch the Gypsy dvd this weekend because I'm humming showtunes now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get a date?

A Girl From Texas said...

Which starbucks is the bigger one? I would assume the one with the drive through.

Chelsea is pretty impressive.

SunWolf said...

I love those coincidences! I'll look for Gypsy on DVD. I haven't seen it, but now I am intrigued.

And I've been very impressed with Chelsea, too.

Timmy said...

alnhouston: oh...you mean a date for the run of the show and not a date for this weekend ('cause I really wasn't looking). :-) I believe the show opened Thurs. night and not sure how long it will run.

a girl from texas: yes. the one with the drive-thru. you know, one night on comedy central they showed a photo of the two SBUX across the street from each other and said, "The end of the world." LOL

sunwolf: the dvd of the movie stars Rosalind Russell as Mamma Rose and Natalie Wood as Louise (Gypsy). I remember watching that movie as a child and feeling sorry for Louise and being frightened of Rose, especially when she almost has a nervous breakdown. The music and lyrics are pure genius.

Viv said...

LOL how weird how that all tied together :-)

Chelsea answered correctly, but I am still an inquiring mind on the answer..hehehe

A Girl From Texas said...

I execute a lot of contracts at that starbucks.....

Sam said...

I love that Gypsy/Chelsea connection. It was the funniest comment I've ever gotten. Junior is too clever. And thanks for the plug.