Saturday, March 8, 2008

Project Runway recap

I haven't said anything about the Project Runway 4 finale because everyone else has said it (Project Rungay and Blogging Project Runway do it the best).

My initial thought about Season 4 is that I wish they would contestants in there who don't have professional experience. Jillian worked Ralph Lauren. Christian worked for McQueen and whole list of others. And I can't remember if Rami worked for a designer at some point but my assumption is yes, he did. Give us Wendy Pepper again!

I thought the final three were good and any of them could have won. They each had some stand outs and they each had not-so-good designs.

I think the judges are a bit two-faced and I think if Heidi Klum thought she had a chance of turning Rami straight, she would. So back to the judges. The most blaring contradiction is that they told Chris he is too costume-y and auf'd him but yet Christian wins the prize.

Now, while I know very little about what women will wear, I'd like to see the woman who would wear Christian's over the top ruffle blouse and I do mean over the top ruffle. Oh wait. I do know of a woman...Victoria Beckam who is a size 0.

So that's all I'm going to say. I picked up some info from Reality Blurred that I thought was interesting and then I found out that Victorya posted a reply on Blogging Project Runway to Tim Gunn's statement. I don't feel like putting the links out there so...uh...you can look them up yourself. :-)

Bravo pre-planned the showdown between Rami and Chris, Tim is “in flux” past season 5
The pre-Fashion Week showdown between Chris and Rami during Project Runway 4’s penultimate episode wasn’t a spontaneous decision by the judges, but instead a pre-planned part of the competition that was supposed to be introduced during season three.

“I know Bravo wanted there to be an elimination in every episode,” mentor Tim Gunn told The Chicago Tribune’s Maureen Ryan. “It’s actually a holdover from Season 3. But there was so much drama, with Laura accusing Jeffrey [of having help with his work] that we didn’t do it. … Part of it was a concern — I never have it, but I absolutely understand the producers’ concern about it — it’s the thought, ‘What’s going happen? They’re just going to sit around, do their work, have their model fittings?’ And my thought is, ‘And your problem with that is what?’”

Meanwhile, Tim says he’s only signed “through season 5 at this point. Then we’ll take it from there. I’ll tell you that things are in flux and I don’t know beyond Season 5. I’m just thrilled to have a Season 5. People ask me, ‘Aren’t you tired of this?’ How could I possibly be tired of this? It’s invigorating and inspiring. I am the luckiest guy in the world.”

Regarding this past season, says that season designer Victorya Hong “was sourpuss, a crabby apple as I keep saying, throughout almost all the show, other than Days 1, 2 and 3. She became this sour pill. Rich Bye, one of the executive producers, and I had two off camera interventions with her. I said to her, ‘You know what makes me beside myself is the fact that there are thousands of designers who would love to be in your place. What’ s the matter with you?’”

He says that Victorya was unprepared, and “said, ‘I never dreamed the experience of being on the show would be like this. … I never dreamed we’d only have a day for challenges, that we wouldn’t have any breaks.’ ‘But you said you saw the show.’ She said, ‘I assumed it was cheated.’ I said, ‘Then you only have your own delusions to blame.’ She was really angry and bitter.” Tim also reveals that Victorya demanded Tim count the designers’ cash at Mood because she thought some people were getting more than others, and got angry at other things. “She actually said about Jack’s departure that we had engineered him leaving because he wasn’t a pretty face anymore,” Tim says.

In other Project Runway 4 news, Christian told People that he will “be seeing [Victoria Beckham] next week, so I made her a few dresses. Hopefully she likes them, so we’ll see how it goes.” His plans for the $100,000 include “buying a bed” and “working very hard. I’m going to show next season at [Fashion Week] in the tents again. I have some sponsors … I really want to go more of a high fashion route. I want to be in high-end stores,” he said. “Who knows? Maybe Victoria Beckham will ask me to work for her new label. You never know.”

1 comment:

Viv said...

Thanks for the recap and PR news. I knew Christian would make Posh some stuff. Like you said only she can wear that neck ruffle brace. tim gunn expressed my sentiments on Vicktorya. She worked my nerves every episode. I am already getting texts from Top Chef, so I guess I am ready for it.