Monday, September 1, 2008

Ramblings Of A Caffeinated Mind 16.0

Hurricane Gustav
Gustav came onshore and didn't pack as much of a punch as expected...and I don't know of anyone who is complaining. As expected, the eye went west of New Orleans and made landfall at Cocodrie, Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana.

There has been flooding, high winds and power outages in south Louisiana. Brettcajun posted a few items from Baton Rouge.

I will say that I was holding my breath today watching the water lap over the Industrial Canal. I wondered if the levees had been reinforced and could they really withstand a Category 2 storm? There was quite a bit television coverage here in the Houston area and I was beginning to wonder when it would stop. And then I thought, "If had left Louisiana, I'd want as much information as possible to know when I could return home."

source: Reuters

I know there are naysayers who will say, "What was the big deal?" With hurricanes you never know if they pick up strength or dissipate. I subscribe to the theory of better safe than sorry.

However, the people in Houma, Lafayette, New Iberia and Lake Charles, Louisiana bore the brunt of the storm.

For those who evacuated, it was a good drill. From what I have heard, this is how an evacuation should occur. As someone who openly criticized, Mayor Ray Nagin, FEMA, former Governor Blanco and George Bush during Katrina I will say job well done this time around to the team in place for Gustav.

Overheard yesterday
He looks good from the neck up.

Overheard this morning (no. 1)
Customer: I'm dehydrated. I need something to drink.
Barista: Party too much last night?
Customer: I don't party and get drunk.
Barista: Oh that's right. You go and have a nice dinner and get overserved on wine and liquor.
St8 Up With A Twist: LOL

Overheard this morning (no. 2)
Person at a table next to Str8 Up With A Twist: I think they should just pack up the city and relocate it (referring to New Orleans). There's nothing left but a bunch of shacks.
Str8 Up With A Twist thought: When was the last time you were in New Orleans? And why don't you suggest that they do the same thing to San Francisco that is build on a fault. Or better yet, how about Cedar Rapids that flooded earlier this year? DUH!

John McCain
I'm NOT even going to comment on his pick for his running mate (Sarah Palin). There is just TOO much to say. Is it just me or is there some correlation between Juno and Juneau? Just askin'.

And So It Goes
I'm still trying to get the computer back to normal. Today's chore was getting it to recognize the printer. This was followed by loading more software for other programs. Good thing I'm a patient person. UGH!

Warning
I start a new job on tomorrow. So...not sure how often I'll be posting. I haven't told the people at the office that my hours will be changing. They'll figure it out when I show up early and not in shorts and sandals. Will also have to make some adjustments to my time spent at LeFittes.

3 comments:

A Girl From Texas said...

Have a great first day. Remember to play nice with the others.

Anonymous said...

Good thing Miss G wasn't at the office when that a-hole made the comment about NOLA! He woulda got a "Oh, Hell, to the no!" AND a "Oh no you di-unt", plus an impecably manicured finger right up in his face!

Anonymous said...

Juno vs Juneau...LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL