Saturday, September 20, 2008

blogging Hurricane Ike (part XV)

One of our hangouts in NoRO is Cyclone Anayas (Mexican food). Good Margaritas and good food can always be had there. So it was a bit sad to drive by the other day and see that the roof had been ripped off by Ike. The surprise was that the restaurant was open on Friday night!

It turns out that the staff (managers, waiters and busboys) worked feverishly over the past few days to reopen the restaurant. Yes, the ceiling needs to be reworked but it was good to see familiar faces on Friday night.

There were five of us who gathered for Friday’s meal. One person evacuated to Austin and was stunned when he drove back into Houston and saw the damage. One person still doesn’t have power at his house. The other three (including me) spent most of the past week spending quite a bit of time drinking expensive wine together in the ‘hood.

It was nice to be able to sit down, enjoy a hot meal and frozen adult beverages and relive the madness of Hurricane Ike. The respite is just what I needed.
I began to get a bit sentimental (adult beverages will do that to me) and last night before I passed out fell into a deep slumber on the couch I started humming Umbrella.



For the second night in a row, I have had a post-hurricane dream; not quite a nightmare. The weirdest thing happened though and it wasn’t part of a dream.

Remember I said that I passed out fell into a deep slumber? I was asleep on the couch and woke up around 3:00a.m. When I woke up, KHOU was doing a recap of some Hurricane Ike footage from last week. They were showing reporters in the storm reporting from various locations around Houston. It took me a minute to realize that this was NOT live. THEN, the cable box went dead and the telly didn’t have anything on it! I looked outside to make sure another hurricane wasn’t approaching. Within a few seconds the cable box reset itself and broadcasting resumed. Those few minutes were from The Twilight Zone.

Are hurricane dreams part of the new normal? I hope not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dream 2 nights ago was that Frank Billingsley was on the tv. Standing in front of a map...and he was showing another storm with the little line models having it coming directly for us...

Dont think I didnt get up the next morning and make sure it was a dream by watching Channel 2. There was no storm out there.

However this morning I heard there might be...

Anonymous said...

an advil pm & wine cocktail before bed...i recall nothing until 6am.

"Tommy" said...

ah yep...i hope u won't get those hurricane dreams as we did over here...but the memories of Katrina.Rita..and now three years later with Gustav and Ike....just wasn't pleasant.

That is what a tab of Xanx is made for..to calm the brain...and take away the stress..for a restful night.

Anonymous said...

hi timmy. just left cyclone anayas and the margs are as refreshing as ever. friend gary & david have a new drag name in the downline...paula debris or alota debris in honor of their galveston weekend home:)

Margo said...

I had a post-hurricane dream last night too, although it was more power-related! Dreamt that our power kept flickering after they got it fixed because a bunch of trees that made it thru the hurricane were now starting to break and fall on the lines.

Anonymous said...

I think you girls have "Post Dramatic Stress Syndrome!"