Thursday, September 11, 2008

blogging Hurricane Ike


I dropped off Calvin at the groomer. He really needs to be groomed and I really need a haircut and well you know who comes first.

Prior to taking him to the groomer I stopped at the other office for my daily fix. There was a weird vibe in the air. I think it is because people realize we could get hit hard by Ike. Damn him! First he beats up Tina because he says she deserves it and now he is coming to punch us. Add to that the fact that today is the 7th anniversary of 9/11

After I dropped off Calvin, I found a gas station that didn't have a line (the stations near the house were crowded this morning) and I topped off the tank. I only needed 1/4 of a tank to fill up.

The eye is still heading toward Freeport. They will do a mandatory evacuation for some of the zip codes in Harris County starting at noon. They're doing this because of the storm surge along the coast. Galveston, Brazoria, Chambers and Wharton counties had already started an evacuation and they asked the residents of Houston to stay off of the freeways so that people from those counties can get through town.

I have no idea if the office is going to be open tomorrow. I'm sure HISD will be closed. The mayor has suggested that offices close tomorrow so that people can get things in order to ride out the storm. They're also telling us that if power goes out evacuate after the storm. Not sure I understand that logic.

I'm going to talk to Jim later and find out what he is going to do. I did stock up on canned food in case the power goes out. Calvin has plenty of food. I also have plenty of water. I also have plenty of batteries, vodka, mixers, tortilla chips and magazines and books. Will charge up the iPod nano later.

If I had vacation time accrued, I'd use it and leave but since I don't I'll have to play it by ear. By the end of the work day it is going to be too late to leave and I really don't want to be stuck in the car for 24 hours and get caught in the car in the remnants of the storm. The voluntary evaucation of Hurricane Rita in 2005 is something that I never want to do again.

If Jim stays put, Calvin and I may go to his house since it is more sturdy although he has a bunch of glass. I'll also ask if I can put the car in his garage. Right now there is room in the garage.

You may not know this but my birthday September 10 is the peak of hurricane season. The last time a storm like this hit the Texas coast around September 10 was in 1961. Hmmmm.

If we end up getting interviewed by Anderson Cooper on CNN, at least Calvin will look handsome and I'll look like a lush.
Will keep you posted.

3 comments:

A Girl From Texas said...

One should always be ready for the camera. :)

Shit, I don't want to have to deal with all this.

mjr1066 said...

FYI...no mandatory evacuations in Wharton county...and call me crazy, but I'm staying. Here's hoping Ike doesn't blow too hard...

Anonymous said...

Anderson Cooper is dreamy:)