Friday, September 12, 2008

blogging Hurricane Ike (part VII)

I ended up falling asleep on the couch with The Calvinator. Had some dreams about evacuating to my alma mater and listening to newscasts from Houston.

When I woke up I had a big fur ball hanging off of my right ear. Ah, the joys of having a furry puppy.

So what to do?
I went to Memorial Park for a 3 mile run. It was sort of eery because there were very few cars on Memorial Drive. Normally at 730a CDT on a Friday it would be crowded with people heading into downtown.

There were a few people at the park. Most of the faces were Saturday morning faces. We all know there ain't going to be any running going on tomorrow morning at the park.

There are some people that need to get a clue. You see...

Yesterday Mayor Bill White announced that the City of Houston would be closed on Friday. This means city departments/offices.

This morning at the park I counted at least 5 people who walked up to the Tennis Center and tried to get in. Uh...City of Houston includes Parks & Recreation. Why would you think the Tennis Center would be open? LOL

The office was closed and I expected that to be the case. What I didn't expect was The Kolache Factory to be open or Smoothie King. So I grabbed a kolache, some coffee and CLIF Bars.

I went over to Valero to get some bean dip (an essential item for me) and picked up some Rock Stars and Starbucks canned drinks. Valero had gasoline only because they received some this morning. They were out of ice and so was the liquor store. It looks like Subway on Memorial Drive is going to open. I saw the employees waiting to get in.

Ike may make landfall as a cat. 2 but still has the potential to be a cat. 3.
I've switched over to KTRK-Channel 13 for awhile. Andy Cerota called in from Surfside, TX. Some yahoo won't leave his house and law enforcement was trying to get him out and couldn't do it.
I'm waiting for Erik Barrajas to come on the telly. This is probably his first time to cover a major storm like this.
OK. Need to consolidate all of my batteries, candles, etc.
Phrases of the day: Stay safe
Shelter in place
Hunker down

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ERIK BARAJAS!! YUMMMMM! Can I have some?

SunWolf said...

I'm worried about you, Timmy. Please take care.

Margo said...

I should have gone to Memorial, but ran around my neighborhood instead. Call tonight if you get bored.

David Dust said...

Dearest Timmy -

I am at my friends house in Pennsylvania - getting ready to go "gay camping" (in the rain) - but after I read the news about Ike, I wanted to check in with you.

You take care of yourself, and the Calvinator!! I'll be thinking about you.

XOXOXOXO

P.S. - Those two weather boys are delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Hurricane Ike has passed by, and most people are okay, though without power and/or internet.

And I've been watching channel 13 news, and damn, looking at Erik makes me melt. <333