Friday, September 12, 2008

blogging Hurricane Ike (part IX)

Latest happenings from The Bayou City. Interspersed through all of this are phone calls to and from friends who stayed.

3:30p CDT - Some lady named Vivian on MSNBC says, "Residents of Houston stare down the storm."

3:31p CDT - Based on what Vivian said, I think of that scene from What's Love Got To Do With It when Tina tells Ike she is sick and can't perform and I think he smacks her...maybe I put that in myself...and makes her go out and perform. She goes out and does a great job and the song is appropriate for the scene. Watch the clip.





4:15p CDT - I'm in the other room and hear an annoying voice on the telly and realize it is Steven Dean on Channel 2: Your Education Station.

4:53p CDT - MSNBC is interviewing the Chief Information Officer for the City of Galveston. She says that 40% of the residents didn't evacuate. I think, "WTF!" Don't they know about the storm in 1900 that killed 6,000 people. It is still the worst natural disaster in U.S. history. She also says the City of Galveston personnel are housed at The San Luis Resort. It is a nice hotel.

5:15p CDT - Receive a phone call that Anderson Cooper is downtown. Speculation arises about where he is staying. Hilton Americas? Four Seasons? Hyatt Regency? Based on the damage from Alicia in 1983, Anderson will have good stories to report if Ike keeps on this path. Calvin and I are less than three miles from downtown. Should we drive downtown and go for his evening walk?

5:25p CDT - Decide to take Calvin for his walk in the neighborhood. Cops are already patrolling the 'hood. Saw 2 cop cars. Wind is picking up and clouds are getting darker. Neighborhood parties have already started or are getting started. Also, it is as if there is a dog parade going on. Everyone is out walking their dogs one last time.

6:20p CDT - First bands of Ike hit Galveston even though flooding has already started on Galveston Island.

6:28p CDT - Frank Billingsley reports that Ike is picking up speed and gaining strength.



6:29p CDT - I'm making Calvin nervous so I pour my first Hurricane.

6:32p CDT - Locate my slicker and Salomon Pro Amphib shoes. Calvin thinks we're going for a walk.

6:55p CDT - Calvin realizes we're not going for a walk and passes out (again).

Comment: Miss Ginger Grant...thank you for the offer of the ice. I have plenty.

Question: Can someone tell me why my bathtub is full of water? Seriously. I'm not going to drink it. I have enough water for me and Calvin to last for a LONG time.

Comment: Yesterday, someone told me that I needed to wear maroon and purple today and put an eggplant in my front yard to ward off the storm. I don't have anything maroon. I don't have an eggplant. Should I have bought some baked eggplant from Luby's and put THAT in the front yard? Just askin'.

Stay safe everyone.

EDIT @ 7:36p: Received a phone call from Boston Greg and he was singing part of the lyrics from Tina Turner's Better Be Good To Me
AND I REALLY DON`T SEE
WHY IT`S SO HARD TO BE
GOOD TO ME
AND I DON`T UNDERSTAND
WHAT`S YOUR PLAN
THAT YOU CAN`T
BE GOOD TO ME

Rather appropriate for Ike's approach on Galveston-Houston!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my bathtub is full of water too, for the SOLE purpose of using it to flush my toilet!!!!

mjr1066 said...

...as tiny frog says, the bathtub water is for flushing the toilet though I have no idea how the hell you do it....

Anonymous said...

The water in the bathtub is so you can flush the commode if the water supply is compromised. Not likely to happen to you in NORO but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Viv said...

Ike staring Tina down...HAHAHAHAH