Thursday, September 11, 2008

blogging Hurricane Ike (part III)

Calvin is here with me at the office. The schedule at the groomer was a bit askew and I needed to meet with my boss today. She is cool with him being here. We came to the conclusion that he needs some diversity training.

Received a call from New Orleans Lisa (NOL). They are getting the outerbands already. It has been intermittently cloudy and windy in NOLA. We are seeing something similar but not to the extent that NOL is seeing it.

She asked if I was going to evacuate and I told her that at this point it is too late. Please remember, Houston is the U.S. 4th largest city. We proved in 2005 that a mass evacuation can actually be more dangerous than sheltering in place. NOL and I both agreed that this storm can turn at the last minute and completely miss Houston-Galveston. That's what I keep telling myself.

The maintenance guys have found the plywood to board some of the windows & doors here at our building. A guy is arriving in a bit to cut down a tree that has the potential of falling over and landing on one of our buildings.

I was asked if the houses are stable enough to withstand wind gusts of up to 100 mph. These structures have been around for a long time. I'm sure they'll be OK.

Will be heading home in a bit so that I can get caught up in the media frenzy on the telly. Will be looking for Jeff Ranieri, Sam Champion and Jim Cantori to make an appearance in Houston to cover Ike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anderson Cooper is in Houston!!!!
Anderson Cooper is in Houston!!!!
Anderson Cooper is in Houston!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jim Cantore is in Galveston! He will have to wear his little bug goggles to protect his eyes from the wind! I also love Rob Marciano on CNN!! HOTTIE!