Wednesday, September 17, 2008

blogging Hurricane Ike (part XII)

Hey folks. I need to make this quick.

Here's what's been going on...

As of right now, I still don't have power at the house. There's probably close to 1.5 million still without power. Up until about 15 minutes ago we had not seen a City of Houston employee, a CenterPoint Energy employee or one of their contractors in the neighborhood. Just got a call that one was spotted not far from the house and they will see what they can do to restore power.

Galveston Island, Bolivar Peninsula, Baytown, League City and other parts of the greater Houston metro area and in bad shape. I feel guilty complaining that I don't have power.

Some friends who have a townhome with windows that open are letting Calvin stay with them during the day. They still don't have power either. I can't keep him in my home because the windows don't open and those that do would give him access to the outside world.

Last night I went for a ride with Calvin and it was interesting to see sections of Shepherd Drive with electricity, some businesses, restaurants and bars that were opened. This is less than 1.5 miles from me and it was like a whole different world.

We did a massive cleanup at work on Tuesday. There are trees that have been uprooted and leaves and branches everywhere. It did make a difference to the appearance of the physical grounds.

Gas lines are long.

Finding a good cup of coffee is difficult.

Grocery lines are long.

I did get a cell phone replacement. Please send me your phone numbers (absolutrunnr77007@yahoo.com) because I lost quite a bit of information.

I feel like I've lost touch with the whole world. Haven't read a paper in days. Haven't watched television in a few days.

As I told my mom, this is one day at a time and yes, things could be worse for me.

Thank you for your well wishes.

-tim "timmy"

3 comments:

J Duarte said...

Hope you get power soon dude! Hang in there.

Thanks for the update.

I been going to work since Monday... It's a nightmare to drive on the streets on my side of town.. Most signal lights are down, so I got to stop at every intersection.

Stay Safe.

Oh I joined another season of PIM.. made in the Hydration group :) wish me luck coach!

Mistress Maddie said...

Keep your chin up and stay postive! My thoughts will be with you. And before long all will beback to normal.Take care:)Mistress Maddie

Joy said...

I'm glad you are safe and am sending thoughts to you. We had a huge ice storm in the mid-90's and no electricity and phones for over a week. Everyone didn't have cell phones then, and I had a desktop, so no communication unless I went somewhere with phones. I couldn't get out of my driveway for a couple of days because a tree fell across it. Trees were broken with branches everywhere. I'm just saying this because I know how it is to be in your situation and wish you the best. You do almost go crazy from boredom and can't do much. It feels so good when electricity comes back on!