Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The RENT is due


NEW YORK (Reuters) - The award-winning Broadway musical "Rent" will end its 12-year-run in New York this June, according to an announcement on the production's Web site.

The musical, composed by Jonathan Larson, chronicles the struggles of a group of young artists in New York.

"Rent" won a raft of awards following its April 1996 Broadway debut, including a Pulitzer Prize for Drama, four Tony Awards and the New York Drama Critics Circle Award for Best Musical.

Larson never lived to see the success of "Rent," dying at age 36 of an undiagnosed heart condition on the eve of its pre-Broadway opening night at the New York Theater Workshop in January 1996.

A spokesman for the production was not immediately available to explain why the show was closing.

Ticket sales for "Rent" had been soft for some time, according to data from the League of American Theaters and Producers. Box office figures showed it was playing to a little over 50 percent capacity in recent weeks.


I first saw RENT on a trip to NYC with P1. I didn't know much about the show but P1 and his friend Big Nick wanted to see a Saturday matinee so sure...why not? While I really liked it and was moved by it, I didn't really start appreciating it until I purchased the Original Cast Recording and listened to it over and over and over. I've seen a stage production of RENT at least 4 times...maybe 5. The movie version wasn't as good as the stage production.

I still get a lump in my throat when I hear Seasons of Love and I'll Cover You -reprise.

RENT has it naysayers and I'm fine with that. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. This blogger will be sad when the RENT is paid and the theatre is vacated.


5 comments:

Viv said...

Cute title. Have never seen Rent. Maybe the touring one will come thorugh soon. Got tix for Jersey Boys tomorrow...supah excited!

Margo said...

I've never seen Rent but loved the movie. The music is really good! Love "Seasons of Love" and the song Angel sings about "today for you, tomorrow for me" even if it is mean to a puppy!

nickabouttown said...

I never cared for it, and I'm tired tired tired of every gay man and woman telling me I MUST love it. :-)

Yes...I'm gay grinch who doesn't like many musicals. :)

Timmy said...

Fitness Nerd: Yes. I remember. You don't like musicals, showtunes, etc. The paperwork for nullifying your gay card is still being processed. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Rent (the musical) was relevant, fresh & "Seasons of Love" still makes me cry. Okay...I am a big musical gay.

Let fitnessnerd keep his card. he's cute