Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Marathon recap and other news

OK. So in yesterday's post I mentioned several things that I need to follow-up with and I still have a few comments to make.

I mentioned that the Scotland/Roy hoopla gang was waiting for Todd at Shepherd & Memorial. We were standing on the bridge that separates River Oaks from NoRO. I also mentioned that my battery died before Todd got to us.

Everyday Italian sent me these photos.

here we are waiting.


here we are getting ready for todd.

todd is in the red shirt.


todd's friend mark came in from san antonio to help todd get through the last few miles.
having run several marathons, i can honestly say that it helps to have people along
the way helping you. whether it is to have supplies for you or to run with you.

ok. the dude has run 23 miles and he is smiling????


close up of todd smiling and getting ready for the allen parkway death march. little did he know! :-)
photo credit (previous 6 photos): Ben Montalbano

I took a photo of my finisher shirt. My finisher medal. And my lucky duck socks. About the socks...I'm not sure if they are still manufactured. I have three pair and I only wear them for runs like the 1/2 marathon, a marathon, a 20k, 25k, etc. Don't always pull them out for the short fun runs. I'm not superstitious but I'm just saying...



A few more thoughts & comments:

  • I'm don't mean to complain but I had to pass a BUNCH of walkers during the first 3 miles. I KNOW I was in the slow corral and maybe if I hadn't gone to the port-a-potty I could have moved further up the corral. It is what it is.
  • I saw two funny t-shirts. A man was wearing one that had on the back: "It is rude to count out loud the number of people that you pass." As I ran past him, I said, "Funny t-shirt." He started to laugh. There was a lady that had a sign on her back that said, "My Indian name is Drinks Beer While Running."
  • My music selection was a bit out of the ordinary for the beginning of the run. I had recently upload Mood Food by Moodswings. Realizing that I was going to have some difficulty for the first few miles, I started listening to Rainsong then Spiritual High (Part 1), Spiritual High (State of Independence) and Spiritual High (Part 3). I repeated those songs and then when the crowd starting moving at a pace that I liked I switched to my real running music. My pace picked up just as Rapper's Delight started playing on the nano. About the time that I was heading south on Montrose at Allen Parkway, the first wave of the green group was running toward us and making the turn onto Allen Parkway. Justin Timberlake started singing What Goes Around Comes Around. I thought that was a bit an odd coincidence. And just about the time that I was mentally losing it, Heather Small started singing Proud. This is a song that has been used on The Biggest Loser. The first verse and the chorus are always uplifting when I'm getting tired from running:

I look into the window of my mind

Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind

I step out of the ordinary

I can feel my soul ascending

I am on my way

Can't stop me now

And you can do the same

What have you done today to make you feel proud?

It's never too late to try

What have you done today to make you feel proud?

You could be so many people

If you make that break for freedom

What have you done today to make you feel proud?

  • One more comment about the spectators. Will Rogers said something to the effect, "Not everyone can be a hero. Someone has to stand on the side and cheer." Knowing that many spectators got up early on Sunday and braved the chill and stayed and cheered for people they don't know, I'd say they are the heroes.

OK. Time for a shout out to a few people. For the marathon (26.2 miles):

  • runnerOne finish time: 3:13:50
  • Richard Peoples finish time: 2:52:05
  • Lisa Foronda finish time: 3:58:57
  • fellow blogger Running For Gold finish time: 3:02:59
  • Danny Kennedy finish time: 4:26:15
  • Todd Arenz finish time: 5:12:20
  • Tim Chafin finish time: 4:47:49

for the 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles):

  • Monica Kennedy finish time: 2:49:18
  • fellow blogger June Bug finish time: 2:24:__
  • Chris Casey finish time: 1:56:33
  • str8 up with a twist: 2:20:25

And how can I not mention the overall winners? For the marathon:

  • (M) David Cheruiyot finish time: 2:12:32 (three time winner)
  • (F) Dire Tune: 2:24:40 (two time winner and course record)

For the 1/2 marathon:

  • (M) James Carney finish time: 1:02:21
  • (F) Kate O'Neill finish time: 1:11:57

In other news...

My quads were very sore yesterday morning. By late afternoon, I was feeling much better. I went to LeFittes yesterday for a lite workout. Only did some abs, back chest and arms.

I didn't feel like running this morning so this evening I did a spin class. Worked up a good sweat and was STARVING when I got home.

Speaking of coming home...

I got home I had a family matter to address. In a previous post, I mentioned that something was going on in Ft. Worth.

My mother has been having some health issues and today she went to see a neurologist. She has Parkinson's Disease.

Prior to today, the face of Parkinson's Disease was Janet Reno and Michael J. Fox. It now has an all too familiar face.

It's sort of good news/bad news. At least we now know what has been causing the health problems. I don't know much about the disease so I guess I will spend some time doing some research. She was very pleased with the doctor. The doc is going to start her out on some mild meds.

That's it for today. Check back on Wednesday afternoon. I might have a funny surprise for you. ;-)

3 comments:

Viv said...

Your race reports are the best. I am going to link your report today, becasue it just showed so much about how fun Houston can be!
*cute sockies*

Timmy, So sorry for your Mom's diagnosis, but like you said now you know what is going on and appropriate treatment choices may be made.

"Tommy" said...

Sorry to hear about your Momma. I have a good friend who was diagonised with Parkinson's last year. He is 52. I know that the meds now are much better and there is long term treatments. I will be thinking of ya'll.

Unknown said...

Wow. What a post. From exhilirating marathon updates and fun thoughts to the news about your mom. I'm loved the run thoughts--and was very sad about the mom thoughts. I'll send you and yours some thoughts of my own during all this.

Leslie F.