Thursday, January 17, 2008

Avant-garde

Avant-garde (pronounced /ɑvɑ̃ gɑʁd/) in French means "front guard", "advance guard", or "vanguard".

The term is commonly used in French, English, and German to refer to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics.

Avant-garde represents a pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm or the status quo, primarily in the cultural realm. The notion of the existence of the avant-garde is considered by some to be a hallmark of modernism, as distinct from postmodernism.

Postmodernism posits that the age of the constant pushing of boundaries is no longer with us and that avant-garde has little to no applicability in the age of Postmodern art.

This is Chris and Christian's interpretation of avant-garde. The Project Runway judges agreed.

This is Kit and Ricky's intepretation of avant-garde. Michael Kors said that Scarlett O'Hara did a better job with the drapes. Kit was auf'd!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It appears the PR contestants did not know the definition of avant garde. The winning dress was fab!

Viv said...

I loved this episode!! The Rami drama, oh my! This dress was perfect. I also liked the ready to wear piece for myself if I weighed 90 lbs!

nickabouttown said...

While I agree with who won, I loved love LOVED tha trench coat that Jillian created. That model new how to work it, too. It was hawt!

I was scared Rami would go home. He's much too hot to die this early... :-)

Timmy said...

To All: I agree!