Thursday, December 25, 2008

Yes, Virginia...

...you can find a Starbucks open on Christmas Day and yes, there is a Santa Claus.

I'm writing this from the Martinez compound in Haltom City. I'm doing this on the Crackberry so there will be no photos, hyperlinks or anything embedded.

1. Merry Christmas to all! I saw a lady wearing a button the other day and it said, "It is OK to say 'Merry Christmas'". If you don't observe Christmas Day, then I hope you had a Merry/Mary Day!

2. I had a relapse of my cold. I thought I was on the upswing but when I awakened on Monday morning, I could tell it was coming back. Calvin and I drove to Ft Worth on Wednesday and driving 272 miles with a head cold made the drive feel like it was a 600 mile drive.

3. After our morning stroll, I went in search of a Starbucks and found one that was open. The SBUX @ Western Center Blvd and I-35W was quite the hopping place this morning.

4. I was feeling so bad on Tuesday evening I passed out on the couch before Darlene Love made her annual appearance on David Letterman to sing Christmas Baby Please Come Home. I'll have to catch the clip on YouTube.

5. If you're not on Facebook, I highly recommend you get an account. This has been the easiest way for me to keep up with friends and it has also been a good conduit for reconnecting with long-lost friends.

6. Through Facebook I found out that Eartha Kitt died today; the passing of another legend. Eartha Kitt died of colon cancer at the age of 81.
Eartha Kitt is well known for recording Santa Baby. She also played the role of Catwoman on the Batman series. She was an accomplished actress and singer. At one point, she was pretty much sent into exile for questioning the Johnson Admininistration's handling of the Vietnam War.

I have two favorite Eartha Kitt moments and one story told to me. She was fabu in the frockumentary Unzipped. I saw her perform in Cinderella with Deborah "Don't Call Me Debbie" Gibson. Eartha Kitt was the Fairy Godmother and was flawless...especially when she purrrrrrrrred at the cat.

A friend saw Eartha Kitt do a show at The Mort in Dallas. He said she came out and started her opening song with the words, "I've been uptown and I've been downtown and I'm still around.". How appropriate. Rest in peace Eartha Kitt.

3 comments:

David Dust said...

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

And it's so very sad about Eartha Kitt - she will be missed.

XOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

FREE Streaming TV Shows, Movies, Music (over 6 million digital quality tracks), Unlimited Games, Money, and FREE College Educations (Stanford, Oxford, Notre Dame and more) @ InternetSurfShack.com 

Anonymous said...

i agree...love facebook.

RIP, Eartha.

Feel better Timmy.

Happy Holidays!