Thursday, July 3, 2008

I Could Have Been A Contender

Regular readers of Str8 Up With A Twist know that I run. I run so that I can eat. I run to keep the weight off. I run in the hope that maybe I won't come down with diabetes. I run to keep my sanity. I run for the eye candy.

If I had only known that I could have been a piece of art (instead of a piece of meat), I might have considered traveling across the pond to be a part of Martin Creed's Work No. 850. I realize that I would not be immortalized like Michelangelo's Daivd. However, it would have been cool to say I was a part of a piece of art. I know. I can always pose naked in a Spencer Tunick photo; not sure that the world is ready for that.

Anywho, I enjoyed reading the following article

Sprinters dash across Tate Britain

By FARAH NAYERI
Bloomberg

Martin Creed, the artist who won the 2001 Turner Prize with lights going on and off, presented his latest work on Monday: a runner sprinting every 30 seconds through Tate Britain's Duveen sculpture gallery in London.

For his Work No. 850, Creed, 39, advertised in running magazines to recruit semi-professionals age 18 or older. Employed by Tate, they are paid 10 pounds ($19.95) an hour to make 15 runs per half-hour shift.

"Running is good to look at," said the artist, dressed in a navy summer suit, as sprinters in shorts whizzed by, one by one, through the columned corridor. Creed himself made a couple of dashes in his suit. "It makes me happy to watch people run."

"We've done a lot of these over the years, but nothing quite like this," Tate Britain Director Stephen Deuchar said of the Creed project.

The Tate had "a history of taking on quite a few difficult commissions," he said, citing Doris Salcedo's recent concrete crack at Tate Modern (Shibboleth), and Carsten Hoeller's slides (Test Site).

"There is something inherently absurd in the idea of a runner passing every 30 seconds for four and a half months," Deuchar said.

Still, he said, Creed's was an "extraordinary piece" that should be taken as "a kind of metaphor for life being the opposite of stillness and death."

Tate Britain's Duveen Galleries Commission, for which Creed made the piece, is now an annual event, thanks to Sotheby's sponsorship.

Puma AG provided the sports clothes and shoes worn by the runners, which they were allowed to choose. A pool of 50 people will make the 30-second race from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily in a complex logistical operation.

Explaining his work to a huddle of reporters, Creed said the sprinters will "slow down if there's some obstruction," and "weave around people" during visiting hours.

Visitors are not allowed to run with them.

The exhibition runs from July 1 through Nov. 16. For more information, click here.

1 comment:

A Girl From Texas said...

When I visited my sister in D.C. a few years back we went into a little gift shop where I found a magnet of David with magnetic clothes. He's on my fridge and I undress and dress him every now and then. I like him in a cowboy hat, wife beater and jeans. No shoes.....