Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independence Day recap

I really didn't have much planned for July 4. I was actually content to just spend the day at home with The Calvinator. In year's past I have done the Uptown Park Run Wild 5k but I decided to boycott it this year. (I have my reasons.)

I took The Calvinator for a walk at Memorial Park. I could see dark clouds coming in from The Gulf and right around 1:00 p.m. we got slammed with a storm. It made me sleepy and I fell asleep and missed a neighborhood party.

I was contemplating walking down the road a bit to watch the fireworks and then the phone rang and that is when the adventure started. You see...

Garden Oaks Mike, Everyday Italian and AttyHou were also thinking the same thing so I agreed to go with them. The plan was to walk about 1/2 a mile or so and watch the really big show. So we loaded up on cocktails and started the jaunt.

The more we walked the more the plans changed and the livelier the conversation. By the time it was all said and done we had walked 2.62 miles to Tony's Corner Pocket. We got there with just enough time to say hello to a few folks, grab a cocktail, grab a spot and then it was time for the fireworks to begin.

Here are some pics that I took. To see more pics, click here.


So we were a bit tired from our 2.62 mile walk and we decided to hang out at Tony Corner's Pocket. On our way over, it was mentioned that we could grab a taxi home. Uh...sure...grabbing a taxi in Houston is an easy thing to do especially on a busy night. It is now time to leave and guess what? No taxi!

So we start walking and let's just say it probably wasn't the safest thing to do especially when you're cocktailed.

We had walked about 3/10 of a mile when somebody's Guardian Angel sent two rickshaws down W. Dallas. They agreed to take us part of the way home. We still had 1.41 miles or so to go. I'm not naming names but someone was a moaning and a groaning about having to walk.

We finally made it back to NoRO and I was a bit damp with sweat. Showered and fell asleep on the couch rather than go to House of Pies for a snack.

Needless to say, I was a bit tired on Saturday morning. And THAT is how I spent Independence Day.

3 comments:

Viv said...

Sounds like a fun night, drinks fireworks, a small workout... especially with no firm plans set in place.

Rick said...

You missed a chance to go to House of Guys? It's funny your less than 25 miles away and it's as if your in Another World.

Timmy said...

A few years ago I dated someone that lived in Sugar Land/Ft. Bend County. When I would spend time down there I felt like I was in another world. LOL

I'm not saying that to be mean but it's just that there is a difference between being almost in the core of the city and being out in the burbs.

I have been told on many occasions that I am very urban...whatever that means.