Thursday, February 27, 2014

What's Love Got To Do With It?

So...this morning, I actually made my way to Fit to do some cardio.  I was listening to KRBE and then switched to watching the telly when Today Show started.  Even though the first 20 minutes of Today Show is composed of news that doesn't stop, I really dislike the last 10 minutes so I usually try to find something else to watch or go back to listening to KRBE.

At Fit, there are rows of television monitors and I usually scan them to see if anything looks interesting.  I can usually count on CNN to keep me entertained until Today Show starts up again.

So...this morning I see THIS yahoo being interviewed by Chris Cuomo.


The yahoo actually has a name.  His name is Bill Donohue and he is president of The Catholic League.

According to their website:

The Catholic League is the nation’s largest Catholic civil rights organization. Founded in 1973 by the late Father Virgil C. Blum, S.J., the Catholic League defends the right of Catholics – lay and clergy alike – to participate in American public life without defamation or discrimination.
Motivated by the letter and the spirit of the First Amendment, the Catholic League works to safeguard both the religious freedom rights and the free speech rights of Catholics whenever and wherever they are threatened.
 
And there's more! Why is there a need for this organization?
And today’s brand of anti-Catholicism is more virulent and more pervasive than ever before in American history. While it is true that Catholics as individuals have made progress in securing their rights, the degree of hostility exhibited against the Catholic Church is appalling. Quite simply, Catholic bashing has become a staple of American society.
 
REALLY? The Catholic Church is under attack? Am I the last (Roman) Catholic to know this?

So...this morning, Chris Cuomo talks to the yahoo about the Anti-Gay Bill (SB 1062) that was vetoed by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer.  The yahoo should have known better not to argue emotion because Chris was arguing facts.  And the more facts he argued, the more outrageous the answers became from the yahoo.

I actually found myself laughing in disbelief at some of the answers and the unreasonable answers.  I wish I could post the entire interview.  You can listen to a part of it here.

And I guess the thing that really got me was when he said that love has nothing to do with marriage.  According to him, marriage is about duty and commitment.  If marriage is based on love, then a brother and a sister could get married.  

And a couple of more things...
1. According to a recent survey, the views on gay marriage are shifting.
2. Bill Donohue DOES NOT speak for all Catholics.

No comments: