Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pic of the day - 01.19.14

Sunday was the running of the Chevron Houston Marathon & Aramco Houston Half-Marathon.  Thousands of runners took to the streets of Houston on a new course that incorporated portions of the old course.  Of course The portion that was kept on the marathon course was the part I refer to as The Allen Parkway Death March.  Up and down.  Up and down.  Just when you don't want to go up and you only want to go down.

Anywho...I had several friends running both races.  Because of road closures and not being real familiar with the new course of course I arrived at Fit early and waited for the runners to come down Waugh Drive.  At the last minute I remembered I had my big hand in the car so I grabbed the clapper and clapped away.

I went to workout since I was already at Fit and then went to Starbucks to feed my daily addiction.  While I was there, I received a text message that AlanTheRealtor aka AlnHouston had just crossed the 30K marker.  I made my way to the portion of the course that I refer to as The Dog Leg.  Memorial Drive to Shepherd to Allen Parkway.  And yes, the big hand was with me.

When I saw AlanTheRealtor, I ran with him and the big hand for a few steps and wished him well down the Allen Parkway Death March.  This photo I snapped is of people still on the course who may or may not have finished within the allotted time.  I posted it on Instagram with the caption, "Never give up on your dreams."

Now for the rest of the story...

It was somewhat emotional being out there.  Chase Dreyer had posted this photo on his Facebook page.
Chase's dad died a few months ago so Sunday he was running for his dad.  I saw Chase before I saw Alan The Realtor and gave him a high 5 and then I almost cried.  This is an email I sent to Chase later on Sunday:

  • Hi Chase,
    First of all, once again, congratulations on finishing today!

    Second, I hope you don't think this is a weird message. I think we've only briefly talked once at Fit a few years ago or so but there is something I want to share with you.

    I don't know if you remember me giving you a high five on the Memorial Drive/Shepherd dog leg of the marathon course. I had seen your signage on your torso on Facebook page earlier so when I saw you come around the corner it really moved me.

    My dad passed away the Saturday after Thanksgiving in November 2011. In late August, cancer cells had been found in his bile duct. He had several options. Chemo & radiation and maybe have another year. Do nothing and live 3 months or less. Do surgery (a very complicate procedure called Whipple Surgery) and possibly live another 5 years.

    The surgeon who agreed to do the surgery only agreed to do it because he said even though my dad was 81, he had the body of a 60 year old. My dad ran his first marathon in Ft. Worth at age 50 and probably ran on a regular basis until some time in his 70s. The doctor attributed his fitness regimen to being so healthy.

    I was on the course for his 2nd and 3rd marathons. I think he only ran three (and I don't mean "only" to sound like I'm discounting him) marathons. He continued to participate in 5ks and 10ks.

    After watching him run those marathons, I remember thinking, "I can do that" but it wasn't until 1998 that I ran my first marathon. He came down from Ft. Worth with my mom, sister, and brother-in-law. And he came down here two other times to cheer me on. He was with me at the start line along the course and at the finish line. I've traveled to other cities to run marathons and half-marathons and always had his encouragement.

    So back to 2011. I had been training for the 2012 Houston Half Marathon but I ended up going back and forth to Ft. Worth that fall in preparation for the surgery and my training schedule went out the window. I remember after the surgery the surgeon said, "I guarantee you he will not die of cancer. We removed all of the cells." The uncertainty was whether or not he would survive the surgery. It was too much for his 81 year old body and his body rejected the changes that were made.

    Looking back, it's almost as if I lost all my inspiration to run when he died. I keep thinking that one day I'll get back out there (and lose all of this weight I've put on).

    You really moved me today. Seeing you out there running for your dad was very inspiring. I'm sure your dad was with you every step of the way just like mine will be the next time I get out there on a long run.

    Once again, congratulations and...
    Thank you!

    Timmy

1 comment:

chase dreyer said...

I'm just now reading this .... it's December 10 2015 - life took a turn - one I never thought nor necessarily saw - God bless us all and thank you