Saturday, June 13, 2009

T 'n T (This and That for June 13, 2009)

OK. So let's sort of catch up with what's on my mind. I don't have much of one left so this won't take very long. HA!

1. Today has to have been the hottest day of the year (so far). I went running this morning at Memorial Park and before I left I think I heard the man on the telly say it was 87% humidity and 78 degrees at 7:00a.m. This afternoon it reached 95 degrees. OK peeps. It doesn't get this hot in Houston in June! Maybe in August! What circle of Dante's Hell am I in? Just askin'.

2. Today is the 9 month anniversary of Hurricane Ike making landfall and making my life miserable. However, my misery was nothing compared to many others. Nine months later, some people are still in recovery mode. I did hear that Brennan's of Houston will re-open in a few months. Brennan's burned during the hurricane. If there was one defining moment of the storm when I actually wondered if hunkering down was the correct decision, it was when I heard that Brennan's was on fire. A transformer started the fire. I have a utility pole in the front yard that was exploding with a rainbow of colours that night and it really scared me. We are officially in Hurricane Season right now so let's hope it is a quiet one. Just sayin'.

3. Bryan held a fundraiser last night for Annise Parker. Annise is currently City Controller for Houston. She is a candidate for Mayor. I first met Annise in 1997 at a fundraiser when she was running for City Council (At-Large position). I was so impressed with her I told AttyHou we needed to have a fundraiser for and we did and she won and has continued to serve the citizens of Houston.

So now she is running for Mayor. Currently she is the front runner but the election isn't until November and we all know how things can get all crazy. I'm going to do everything I can to help her maintain her lead.

She gave a really good speech last night and energized the crowd. I didn't realize how many people outside of Houston and outside of Texas are keeping an eye on this election. I forget that I live in the 4th largest city in the United States.

Annise is running on her experience and qualifications. She is the most experienced and qualified candidate who happens to be female. I hope that people will look at her experience and her plans for Houston. Regardless of where you live, I hope that you will check out her website and consider making a donation. She mentioned last night that a $5 contribution really does help and it gives you some buy-in to her candidacy.

4. I am going with some friends to see Cabaret on Thursday evening. I debated about going but then I thought, "What good is sitting alone your room?" So I bought a ticket!

Stay cool everybody!

1 comment:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I concur- especially on the heat issue! It was dreadful today!